Author Topic: Mitel 5000 - New user - Lots of questions - Please Be Gentle!!  (Read 24001 times)

Offline d95gas

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

well been lurking around the forum for some time now, well since we got our first Mitel 5000 CP system (System Release [5.0.46]: Mitel 5000 Release mtl-5000-5_0-release-17) about 8 months ago, fantastic resource to help the "newbies" :-)

Anyway, pretty much got into the interface and happy with all the setup and configuring handsets etc, so time to move onto new areas (for me).

I have a couple of users who work remotely, so need to put the Mitel 5312 into their homes and set them on on their DSL connections.

Here is what info I have:

System is 5000 CP  and have setup the NAT in in the two relevant locations.  Have got the WAN IP address and port forwarding and that all works fine as I frequently connect remotely with the Admin & Diag software.

I believe I am going to need a list of ports to open on the users DSL router, and forward to whatever IP address their system assigns to the 5312.

From here I am a bit stuck.

Would anyone be good enough to do a flowchart or similar of the process involved to get this working from outside the business network, or point me to a decent flowchart that I can use to set this all up.

In my head I am probably over complicating the whole process, so hoping with your guidance I can complete this task without too much grief.

Oh my licensing also shows that I have 6 spare "IP Network licenses" in addition to having plenty of "CAT D licenses"

Any help would be really appreciated.

D95
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:11:15 AM by ralph »

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: New user - Lots of questions - Please Be Gentle!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 03:48:10 PM »
You are seriously overthinking it...

For remote users, generally nothing needs to be done on the remote end, standard router, NAT, basic firewall, etc, are all fine... generally nothing needs to be "opened up" or port forwarded in your standard SOHO router (Linksys, Netgear, DLink, or embedded DSL modem router). Note if you are building a VPN tunnel to the main location, these requirements change, but that doesn't seem to be the plan here.

On the 5000 end, port forwarding needs to be done on a range of ports to the 5000, including:

67&68/UDP
69&20001/UDP
6800-6802/TCP
3998&3999/TCP
50098-50508/UDP
6004-6261/UDP

You also need to make sure the System NAT address (ie. the public IP address of the router forwarding ports to the 5000) is set properly in TWO places:

System\IP Settings\System NAT IP Address
System\Devices and Feature Codes\IP Connections\P6000\NAT IP Address

And to finish it all off, on the remote phones themselves in:

System\Devices and Feature Codes\Phones\<Ext num>\IP Settings

Change the NAT Address Type to NAT.

Boot the phone, hold down 7 and enter Teleworker Mode, enter the public IP from the System NAT Address above and all should be happy in the world!!!

If you are using G.711 (uncompressed) CODEC, which is the default, that is all that is required!

The IP Networking Licenses are to network together multiple 5000 controllers using Inter-Tel Networking Protocol, these are often included in non-networked systems because they are typically included in "bundles" that vendors sell.

The Class "D" licenses are the licenses for Mitel IP Phones and will be automatically and dynamically allocated as needed to phones currently online.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 03:56:49 PM by acejavelin »

Offline d95gas

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Re: New user - Lots of questions - Please Be Gentle!!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 04:30:11 AM »
AWESOME! AWESOME AWESOME!  ;D
Acejavelin that was exactly what I was looking for, spot on write-up that and I have followed to the letter.   I will test this later today from my home location first, as I know I have decent connectivity and I have full access to the router if needed.

Just to confirm I have followed and hung on your every word  ;) I took a couple of screenshots of each stage, if you wouldn't mind checking?

First one is the Ports setup as being opened on the Draytek 2800 - This is the 5000 CP end:

Fingers crossed for later today for the big test  :D

Once again Acejavelin many thanks for the superb "idiots guide"

Graeme

[Post modified by Ralph to remove IP addresses that my cause a security risk]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 08:09:43 AM by ralph »

Offline NTEDave

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel 5000 - New user - Lots of questions - Please Be Gentle!!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 10:59:14 AM »
Hello

You've missed a System NAT IP address on the main IP settings page, I would also delete the screen shots as you don't want everyone knowing your external address and the fact you have a lovely 5000 sat there accepting Minet connections :)

If you have any users on a BT Homehub you can expect some issues, swap it out for anything else really but we normally use Draytek.

Apart from that you should be good to go.

(I'm really being good here stopping myself from reconfiguring my 5312 to your external IP and trying to guess some passwords  ;D )

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 12:17:45 PM »
(I'm really being good here stopping myself from reconfiguring my 5312 to your external IP and trying to guess some passwords  ;D )

d95gas, take the hint here and edit your screen shots.   Hate to see you get hacked.

Ralph

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 11:43:20 PM »
Also, although I am not familair with the Draytek Routers, usually "Opening" ports and Port Forwarding are different, but if it worked for programming (44000) then it should be the right one, just an "incorrect" name.

NTEDave and Ralph seemed to catch the the only stuff that stands out to me as well.

Offline d95gas

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 03:24:49 AM »

d95gas, take the hint here and edit your screen shots.   Hate to see you get hacked.

Ralph

Thanks Dave.   I would alter the Image BUT, for some reason I dont have the ability to edit my own posts :-( have asked Ralph to do the necessary.

And if you are the person I think you are :-) I know you are a good lad and would'nt do such dirty deeds :-)   You in Peterlee ?

the NAT Address I missed:  is it the one where it currently states 255.255.255.255 ??

Our system engineer either put that in or it was defaulted on install, hence I left it, So you are saying I need to change that for the WAN IP address (NAT) ?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 03:29:53 AM by d95gas »

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 08:10:05 AM »
I removed the screen shots.

Ralph

Offline NTEDave

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 06:34:12 PM »
 :D yes you need to set this NAT IP address up to be you external IP address as well.

Yes I'm in Peterlee, which Graeme are you then? I know about four who are spelt that way?

Offline d95gas

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 04:13:23 AM »
:D yes you need to set this NAT IP address up to be you external IP address as well.

Yes I'm in Peterlee, which Graeme are you then? I know about four who are spelt that way?

Thanks Ralph.

Offline d95gas

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 04:14:01 AM »

Thanks Ralph.

I was the I.T Manager at "Northern Training Trust" all those years ago :-)

Offline NTEDave

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 07:36:11 AM »
Ah right, I was racking my brains trying to think which Graeme I would know that may have these questions! :)

Are you still in the North East then? Give me a shout if you need any help on site, Mitel 5000 is what I do nearly all day every day.

Offline d95gas

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 10:23:04 AM »
Yep still in the North-east and still into I.T, although I now cover from M4 Gloucester up to the Shetlands and across to Belfast :-) just a small area.  I will keep you in mind on the Mitel side, although you know my supplier "Graham - Online Unified" ;-)

Offline NTEDave

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 03:35:05 AM »
Ahh yes I know Graham. Wouldn't want to stand on his toes  :D

Offline d95gas

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 08:25:54 AM »
Well finally got round to installing and testing this.   On trying it through the normal method we add the Mitel's to the system, previously defining ICP on the phone to the NAT address of the system, I continually got to DHCP then the error "Option 128 Missing".

So tried with the pressing 7 and putting the handset to teleworker mode, this worked fine, got an address from the system and applied the extension number.   So happy about that.

BUT,

On using the remote extension I have found:

1.  I can ring internal extension numbers fine.  but when ringing external numbers I just get silence.  The display shows as if the call
     is connected and you can see the countdown timer running......but total silence.

2.  When I dial an internal extension and it hits Voicemail.   I can see the voicemail recording counting up, but I don't hear the other
     ends voicemail initial speech.

Any ideas where I might have slipped up ????

thanks

graeme

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10