Author Topic: BLF in 5312 (in SIP Mode)  (Read 10057 times)

Offline alexeyv

• View Profile
BLF in 5312 (in SIP Mode)
« on: March 18, 2013, 02:23:15 AM »
Hi!

Can anyone clarify if Mitel 5312 supports Busy Lamp Field (BLF) feature? According to documentation (User Guide) it is supported.
When I enter User Configuration page there is a field "BLF User Group List" where I provide the necessary information.
But on Key Programming page, when I choose any key there is no item "Speed Dial+BLF" in Feature list, only "Speed Dial Key".
How can I configure a programmable key to use BLF?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:56:28 AM by ralph »

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: BLF in 5312 (in SIP Mode)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 10:35:41 AM »
In SIP BLFs are not controlled by the phone, but by the SIP Server, you should build your list there and the phone would use a SUBSCRIBE message to get the list and updates from the SIP server to change the lights status. There should be a place in the phone to tell it the BLF URI so it can pull the list from the appropriate place on the SIP server.  I am told this works with Asterix, I could never get it to work with Broadworks.

Offline alexeyv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:10:27 AM »
You are right. I created a BLF group on the server (Asterisk) and specified it in the User Configuration section on the phone. Now I should be able to go to the Key Programming, choose a key and select from the Feature list "Speed Dial+BLF" item. But this item is missing (see screenshot). I updated to the latest firmware but nothing changed here.

I know that Mitel 5330 does have this item, but User Guide for 5312/5324 also claims to support this feature, it has schemes and even mentions this "Speed Dial+BLF" item. But in reality the item is missing, the feature seems to be NOT supported. How could that be?

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 07:52:57 AM »
Is it possible that the user guide you have is not the one for SIP mode?

Rallph

Offline alexeyv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 08:39:50 AM »
The guide I have is called "Mitel 5312/5324 IP Phones. SIP User and Administration Guide. Release 7.2 UR1" (April, 2009).

Moreover, official documentation on Mitel site for Web Configuration Tool, which is used to web-access and configure the SIP phone, claims the same. It says that Mitel 5312 supports BLF, and that a key on the phone can be programmed to use BLF.

I emailed to Mitel's sales department and they replied:
The documentation that I have for the 5312/5324 shows that you may be able to program your phone for this feature. Unfortunately, it does not give any steps to do so, you will need a programming guide for that. Your Mitel representative can help with the instructions. If they are unable to clarify or confirm this for you, contact Customer Care at 1-800-722-1301.

My local Mitel reseller can only confirm that they also don't see this item on Mitel 5312, but it appears on Mitel 5330. Unfortunately, I'm not registered at Customer Care and they couldn't open a ticket for me. Is that how Mitel technical support works? They claim features they don't have and can't even confirm or explain it.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 11:33:04 AM »
The guide I have is called "Mitel 5312/5324 IP Phones. SIP User and Administration Guide. Release 7.2 UR1" (April, 2009).

Moreover, official documentation on Mitel site for Web Configuration Tool, which is used to web-access and configure the SIP phone, claims the same. It says that Mitel 5312 supports BLF, and that a key on the phone can be programmed to use BLF.

I emailed to Mitel's sales department and they replied:
The documentation that I have for the 5312/5324 shows that you may be able to program your phone for this feature. Unfortunately, it does not give any steps to do so, you will need a programming guide for that. Your Mitel representative can help with the instructions. If they are unable to clarify or confirm this for you, contact Customer Care at 1-800-722-1301.

My local Mitel reseller can only confirm that they also don't see this item on Mitel 5312, but it appears on Mitel 5330. Unfortunately, I'm not registered at Customer Care and they couldn't open a ticket for me. Is that how Mitel technical support works? They claim features they don't have and can't even confirm or explain it.
I understand your frustration but tech support is only for authorized dealers, Mitel does not support end-users directly, it is how it works, and in order for even authorized vendors to get support, they need to be certified in the product first. Also remember that support for SIP on Mitel sets was dropped a couple years ago and is no longer being developed. (Mitel still does, and will for some time, support SIP, just not SIP on their proprietary handsets)

Note that some features of SIP are only supported via server-based config files... also, what version of SIP firmware are you working with? What is your call server?

Offline alexeyv

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 12:45:09 AM »
I understand your frustration but tech support is only for authorized dealers, Mitel does not support end-users directly, it is how it works, and in order for even authorized vendors to get support, they need to be certified in the product first. Also remember that support for SIP on Mitel sets was dropped a couple years ago and is no longer being developed. (Mitel still does, and will for some time, support SIP, just not SIP on their proprietary handsets)

Note that some features of SIP are only supported via server-based config files... also, what version of SIP firmware are you working with? What is your call server?
acejavelin, thank you for this information.

I tried different firmware versions. At first it was 2.0.0.34 which was on a new phone by default. Then I asked the local reseller for update and tried 2.1.1.1 and 5.01.00.17. Both Main Firmware and Boot Firmware were updated. Also, the Main Firmware is prefixed with R8.0 if it matters.

Actually, it is not a question of tech support. I could configure the BLF feature if it was in the interface. As I mentioned, our reseller confirms that the drop-down list in Mitel 5330 contains "Speed Dial+BLF" item while Mitel 5312 does not. It's more of a question of accuracy and reliability of official Mitel documentation. I buy a phone hoping to get a feature they claim they have and it's just not there, without explanations.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 08:09:15 AM »
Fair enough... I had not tried this with a 5312, only 5330 and 5340 phones. Sorry I can't actually be of more help.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10