Author Topic: MSL SMTP Server  (Read 16946 times)

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
MSL SMTP Server
« on: July 10, 2012, 04:50:16 PM »
Anyone out there running an MSL server version 9.4.28?

Trying to set one up, and made a mistake typing in the SMTP server FQDN. Only now it won't change. (Even though the website will accept a change, it won't actually use it, and after a server reboot, goes back to the mistaken FQDN.)

Anyone seen this before?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: MSL SMTP Server
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:18:50 PM »
Try blanking the "Server To Use  for Outbound SMTP" field and saving it, should go back to "delivered direct via DNS lookup", then reboot and it should be gone... then type in your correct SMTP server address.

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Try blanking the "Server To Use  for Outbound SMTP" field and saving it, should go back to "delivered direct via DNS lookup", then reboot and it should be gone... then type in your correct SMTP server address.

Actually have done that. And after an initial reboot, its empty, but 5-10 minutes later, goes back to the incorrect FQDN.

Its been driving me crazy!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 05:50:40 PM »
Weird... do you have a valid backup of MSL from before the change you could restore? If not I would say call tech support, and if that isn't an option, reinstall from CD and handpack it might be the best bet.

What app is the server running?

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
MSL SMTP Server
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 06:19:25 PM »
It's a brand new install, so no backup. I do have a support case open, and blowing it away and starting over is an option. Just had hoped someone else had seen this before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline martyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 07:02:19 PM »
Haven't had this occur on any of the 9.4 systems that I have, but given that it is a new install I would just find it quicker to blow it away and re-build it than muck around with a ticket with Mitel.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 09:15:35 PM »
I am with martyn on this one, just blow it away and start over... although, I would suspect a media or hardware issue... I would download the iso image again and burn a new disc at the lowest speed your PC supports, check the MSL Hardware Guide and verify hardware is configured properly and reinstall... I had a newer HP server a while back with RAID that would install, boot, license, and come up, but just do weird things, turns out "someone" didn't read the docs and a setting in the BIOS needed to be changed. Not pointing any fingers but I think that tech learned his lesson!  ;)

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
MSL SMTP Server
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:24:39 PM »
And I probably normally would except this was the only thing not programmed on the MAS and cut is tomorrow morning. So I guess I will wait and see what support says. They were seeing errors about a file directory not being present.

I too learned my lesson long ago about burning at the slowest speed and making sure that the bios settings were correct. (Also this is a brand new HP ML110 G7 and Mitel doesn't have any changes for this model at the moment.)

Oh well, thanks for the suggestions guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 10:30:49 PM »
Well support got back to me today on my issue that ended up being two things.

First, the MSL email setup now auto-populates the TCP/IP Unified section of NuPoint. The reason why it kept changing back is that the NuPoint was refusing to see my changes, and was instead over-writting/rewritting the wrong SMTP address to the MSL. Work around for now was to go into NuPoint and change the SMTP server there, reboot, which resulted in the MSL email setting now being correct.

Secondary issue. Since this customer using Gmail, and Gmail requires port 465 for authenticated SMTP, the MSL is having an issue with that. Apparently since smtp.gmail.com will return both and IPV4 address and an IPV6 address, this confuses MSL, and makes it think that the FQDN isn't valid, and will instead use 127.0.0.1. This is supposed to be fixed in a new MSL 9.4.29 load, not yet released.

So just an update for anyone using 9.4.28 of MSL.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 01:28:18 AM »
Can't you just let msl handle the email directly? That usually works, I have even used an unregistered msl installation for that purpose only when the customer doesn't have some kind of port 25 access.

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 07:39:53 AM »
Can't you just let msl handle the email directly? That usually works, I have even used an unregistered msl installation for that purpose only when the customer doesn't have some kind of port 25 access.

Never done that before..how would I go about setting that up?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 02:34:30 PM »
Never actually done it with Nupoint, but have used it as an email relay server for UCA and the 3300... I am in the field and don't have access to MSL right now to walk you through it. Will be a few hours before I get to one, will look it up and get back to you. Might be a little tricky with this one since Nupoint requires a server address and for MSL to do it you don't assign any email server at all, and since you have an issue with one auto-populates another I am not sure the fix off the top of my head... but MSL does contain a full-blown SMTP email server out of the box.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:36:44 PM by acejavelin »

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 09:10:17 PM »
Directly from docs: "Note: Although SMTP can be configured in NuPoint (under Settings > Email in the Web Console), it is recommended to use the MSL Server Manager to take advantage of the complete range of configuration options. For example, secure SMTP can only be configured in MSL, not in the NuPoint interface."

Have you seen this? It is in the embedded help of Nupoint under Optional Features\Unified Messaging\Standard UM\Web Console\Configuration about half way down, this is literally what I was talking about (leaving email server blank part)

Configure Smart Host (SMTP Relay Server) Settings

NuPoint UM can communicate with the smart host through the default SMTP port number 25, or  through secure (SSL) port 465. If you employ secure port 465 to connect directly to an SMTP relay server (smart host) such as Google Apps, you will be required to enter authentication details (User ID and Password) and your account may be subject to usage limitations. See Usage Limits if Connected Directly to Smart Host more information. 

To configure the SMTP relay server settings:

From the navigation tree, click Configuration, and then click E-Mail Settings.

Click Change.

Enter the following settings:

SMTP Server:

Server to use for outbound SMTP: The server can deliver outgoing messages via a corporate or Internet service provider's SMTP server, or can deliver messages directly to their destination by looking up mail exchanger records in DNS. If you are using a specific SMTP server, specify its hostname or IP address in this field. Otherwise, leave this field blank. Click Save to access other SMTP Server settings.

Destination port for outbound SMTP: Select either the default SMTP Port 25 (use cleartext) or secure SMTP Port 465 (SSL encryption).   

Mail Server User ID: If you are using secure SMTP, enter the user ID required by the SMTP server. 

Mail Server Password: If you are using secure SMTP, enter the password required by the SMTP server.

Note: For example, if you are connecting directly to the Google Apps SMTP relay server, you would enter smtp.gmail.com as the Server address, 465 as the Destination Port, and a valid user ID and password for a Google Apps or Gmail account.

SMTP email injection restrictions: This setting controls which networks will be allowed to send mail through this server via SMTP. Choose from one of the following three settings:

Localhost only – accept email only from applications installed on the server (default setting).

Accept only from local networks – accept email from local networks that are directly connected to the LAN. (These networks are on the same subnet as the server’s private interface.)

Accept from anywhere - accept all email.

Forwarding address for administrative email: By default, email to the administrator is sent to the user "admin" at the domain name configured on the server. You can override the default by entering an email address in this field.

E-mail sent for events: Select the system events for which you want to receive email notifications — Cleared, Indeterminate, Warning, Minor, Major, Critical. By default, Major and Critical are preselected.   

Click Save.

Note: Although SMTP can be configured in NuPoint (under Settings > Email in the Web Console), it is recommended to use the MSL Server Manager to take advantage of the complete range of configuration options. For example, secure SMTP can only be configured in MSL, not in the NuPoint interface. 
Usage Limits if Connected Directly to Smart Host

If NuPoint UM connects directly to the SMTP relay server, it may be subject to usage limitations. For example, direct connections to the Google Apps SMTP relay server are limited as follows:

The DNS settings on the local server must be able to resolve to the smart host (smtp.gmail.com). The corporate DNS settings can be configured under "Domains" on the MSL Server Manager.

Direct connections to the Google Apps SMTP relay server must be made through a secure SMTP Port (465) using a single, authenticated user account. As a result of this setup, Google's SMTP server delivers all email messages with the same "Reply To" address. For example, if someone from extension 1120 leaves an email message for mailbox 4009, the message will contain a unique "From" name of 1120 but a common "Reply To" address of nupoint.voicemail@domain.com. To alleviate this limitation, configure a Google Apps account with a name that indicates the messages are originating from a NuPoint voicemail server; for example, nupoint.voicemail@corporate.com.   

If you connect directly to the SMTP relay server using a single, authenticated user account, the account will be subject to sending limitations to prevent email spamming. For example, Google Apps has a sending limit of 2,000 email messages per day. Once that limit is reached, the account will be locked for 1 to 24 hours, preventing further emails from being sent. In addition, the account will also be locked if too many emails are sent during a short period of time. While the account is locked, Google rejects new email with a "Daily sending quota exceeded" error and the event is logged in /var/log/qmail. (Note that Google controls the account lockout triggers and time periods, and does not publish the

Because sending limitations apply to all SMTP emails sent from your system (including emails generated by the alarm manager, fax confirmation, and Advanced UM Blackberry users), direct connections to Google Apps should be implemented only by smaller organizations. A safe limit is 80 user mailboxes, based on typical call/port usage patterns.

Email Whitelist

In some cases, Google Apps may treat email from NuPoint UM as spam. To correct this problem, you must add the NuPoint server to the email whitelist on the Google Apps domain.

To add NuPoint the list of accepted senders on the Google Apps email whitelist:

Log in to the Google Apps administrator control panel: https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/yourdomainname

Click the Settings tab and select Email.

Locate the Email Whitelist section and enter the external IP address(es) of the NuPoint UM server.

Click Save.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:17:57 PM by acejavelin »

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 10:38:56 PM »
Actually these are the exact directions I had originally followed. I think because I messed up the smtp FQDN orginially with smtp.google.com instead of the correct smtp.gmail.com, is why it populated it into the NuPoint Unified TCP section.

I blanked all that out, and redid it again tonight. It now looks correct, showing the SMTP server as smtp.gmail.com and isn't listed in the NuPoint Unified TCP section, which matches the instructions.

Problem is I still get an error when trying to send an outbound email: "delivery 1: deferral: Connected_to_127.0.0.1_but_greeting_failed./Remote_host_said:_451_Upstream_SMTP_server_not_available/"

I also did verify that the server could ping smtp.gmail.com

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 07:45:15 AM »
Great info.
I'm wondering if you could you the non-mitel variant from contribs.org to set up a relay to gmail for the embedded.
Could solve a couple of problems.
Ralph

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10