Author Topic: Mitel 5000 voice mail to email attachment problem  (Read 5997 times)

Offline Sloth

• View Profile
Mitel 5000 voice mail to email attachment problem
« on: June 09, 2012, 09:22:16 AM »
We have a new Mitel 5000 install that we can not get he voice mail attachments to show up properly.
The mail server is using Ipswitch Imail.  The users access their mail through the Imail web client.  With the web client the voice mail does not show as an attachment but has a link to a non-existent file on the web/mail server.
If the same message is opened with Outlook or Outlook Express the message appears properly with the wav attachment and no link in the body of the message.  It can then be forwarded back to the same user and the web client will show it properly with the attachment.
Sending mail with  a wav attachment works fine.  Either from an outside mail server or using the inhouse mail server - the problem is not due to file type.

In trying to work around this I configured the mail server to forward the voice mail messages to a gmail account.  The message appear properly on gmail.  Again the file can be forwarded from the inbox to the webmail client and they work fine.  I then set a rule on gmail to auto forward the message back to the Imail server.  The auto forward does not send what I think of as a true forwarded message (ie with fwd: tag) but sends an original copy of the message back.  This message shows back up without the attachment and the link in the body.

Any ideas?  Going to Outlook does not work since they will loose the ability to access their mail from anywhere. 

S.

Offline MEFMITEL

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel 5000 voice mail to email attachment problem
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 05:08:19 PM »
Is it possible that your mail server is seeing the .wav attachment as a security violation and stripping it out?  I don't use that mail server so I'm not familiar with any settings, but you can probably specify which attachments are allowed.  Can you get any other emails through that server with a .wav attachment, i.e. is it just the messages from Mitel with those attachments having a problem or any email that has a .wav?

Offline Sloth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 10:30:04 PM »
It is not the mail server.  My thoughts for this are:
I can send a wav file using gmail to any local email and the file shows up as an attachment.
I can send a wav from one account to another in house and it shows up as an attachment - same process that the mitel would be using.
Reason for it not to be the mail client - Imail web client:
All the attachments I am sending using anything but the mitel show up and work fine.
The mitel message I download using outlook and then forward to the same email account and open with the web client works fine

The retail company we got the phone system is starting the process of saying it is a problem on our end.  The message we get from them about their conversations with mitel is that since it works with outlook then it must not be their problem.  I just wish I could talk to the mitel tech and have him explain why is it that only mitel attachments do not work with our setup.

S.

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 10:54:57 PM »
In-house to in-house may not be the best test.

The 5000 is more than likely sending via SMTP. An in-house to in-house wouldn't use this same type of connection as its just internal. (You wouldn't use the postal service to send a letter to someone inter-office, so in much the same way the email server wouldn't either.)

What I would suggest is building a secondary email server in-house and then sending a wav attachment through it to your normal mail server. This secondary one doesn't need to be anything special, a basic linux box would work or there are some cheaper Windows based applications that can do much the same thing.

I realize that you've tried to do this already with Gmail, but in my experience Gmail handles attachments differently than a lot of other programs.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10