Author Topic: Outlook Contact Import  (Read 9354 times)

Offline paulbeynon

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Outlook Contact Import
« on: April 12, 2012, 11:12:12 AM »
Hi There, I a new to the phone sector as I have had this given to me as a new role - I must admit its very interesting to work with this system. However I am stuck on one thing, which is really bugging me now! hopefully someone can help.

I am using Mitel Unified Communicator Advanced 4.1.22.0 and I need to get mine and others contacts copied across to the program from Outlook - however I have tried importing them, I have tried setting it up in configuration and re-indexing, but this doesn't work either. I have also tried dragging and dropping - this also doesn't work - I am running W7 and Outlook 2010 (32bit) - others are running XP with Outlook 2003 - they also don't work!

The strange thing is, when I do all of this it doesn't error, it just doesn't do anything. the indexing goes through the process very quickly but nothing happens!

also, can anyone tell me if the UCA is compatible with W7 64bit and Outlook 2010 64Bit?

Many Thanks

Paul
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:14:24 AM by paulbeynon »

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
Re: Outlook Contact Import
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 02:49:06 PM »
You can definitely drag and drop contacts (I'm using Outlook 2007) to the UCA Client.  It's touchy though.

Switch your view from your corporate contacts to your personal contacts.

Select some contacts from your contacts view in outlook and drag them over to the UCA window showing the personal contacts.

You then have to find, for lack of a better term, the sweet spot where you can release the contacts into the field.  It is towards the upper part of the window.

You can also create groups of contacts in this window.  Hope this helps.

Offline paulbeynon

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 05:21:58 AM »
I either cannot find the spot :( or something isn't set up correctly!!

Is there anything I need to check on the server side for this feature to work? or is it a case of hope for the best? Also anyone know if the software supports Outlook 2910 x64?

Thanks

Paul

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 10:09:59 AM »
You should not need to touch any server settings for this action.

I decided to record a tutorial to show you how to do this.  I figured I might as well do this and save it for my staff as well.  Check it out on YouTube.

http://youtu.be/r5JuopwPxPo

Offline paulbeynon

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 11:19:18 AM »
Hi, thanks for the guide.

This doesn't work for me - when I hover over the group - created newly like you did - I get the no entry sign - it doesn't allow it to go in there. The only places I get the correct icon are over the Search Contacts field, Filter List field and the Contacts icon

I will get onto our support guys to find out why this is!

Thanks

Offline tlampman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 03:11:47 PM »
yeah, this doesn't work. I'm not able to drop the contact onto a group in the personal contact list.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 07:51:17 AM »
I do not run UCA in house so I can't test these specific issues right now but have installed several of them over the last few monthes...

With UCA (it was different in YA) you cannot import any group or global contacts into the UCA client, only personal contacts that are in the default folder for Outlook. If you want to import anything other than the personal user contacts, you must copy them from the global address book (or any other address book hosted on the Exchange server or in a address book that is not the default user one) to the user's default personal address book, then sync.

The client is not fully compatible with Outlook 2010 64-bit, if memory serves me correctly most things work except calendar integration, contact importing, and contact CID name substitution (basically anything that talks to Outlook directly).

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 09:01:15 AM »
That must be the sticking point for the other folks on this post.  It would never occur to me to drag contacts from the GAL to UCA because the UCA directory is the whole company anyway...so they're already in there. 

I'm sure there are situations where this is not the case.

This reminds me of folks who want to get their GAL into Blackberries. 

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 08:56:55 PM »
I put up a new "How to" based on this posting.
You can view it here:  www.mitelforums.com/articles/uca/import-outlook-contacts-into-UCA.php

Let me know if I should add anything.

Ralph

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10