Author Topic: Is there some kind of newbie friendly documentation and glossary?  (Read 9913 times)

Offline rizman

• View Profile
Hi there,

I basically just inherited an Mitel 3300 CXi II Controller as the person responsible for it left the company and wouldn't bother telling anyone how the system works. And as I am the person most knowledgeable in IT and Tech stuff, I have been designated admin for the 3300 and our phones :-)

So we have only 10 extensions, all are 5330 IP Phones from Mitel. I already checked the User guide.

What I'm struggling with is the Mitel Communications Director Webinterface. Is there some basic documentation/introduction/tutorial. I saw the help inside the Webinterface, but unless I know what I'm looking for I doesn't really help me.

What I'm particularly missing is some kind of glossary, because I don't know what a pickup group, hunt group, ring group etc. and everything else does. Does something like that exist? Basically Mitel 3300 for Dummies? :-)

Hope anyone can help me

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: Is there some kind of newbie friendly documentation and glossary?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 12:01:09 PM »
The first thing I'd point you to is the help files. 
In my opinion, the help files are some of the best in the industry.
You find feature details there.

Ralph

Offline martyn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 09:07:33 PM »
Yep, the one thing that got drilled in to us when I went on the Mitel Basic course was to use the help file. Up until then I hadn't as usually help files, usually aren't all that helpful!
It's amazing how much information there is in there though, and you should usually find the answers to what you need, and the information is updated with each release of software, so nothing ends up out of date.

When you log in to the MCD web interface and go to about, what version of software are you running? If we at least have an idea of this then it's a bit easier to help you, as some features vary by version, and the menu structure is slightly different in newer versions than it was in the first release of MCD.

Offline rizman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 10:51:11 AM »
Hi there,

Sorry for my late response. I had some days off so I didn't check the forums.

I checked the version, its 5.0SP1 of Mitel Communications Director. I checked some of the help files and they are really well done. Still, my problem is that there are so many forms, and because I don't know what I'm looking for, I'm kind of lost even with the help.

The first thing I tried (and finally managed to find) was to change the Greetings message. With the help of the help files, I managed to record a new RAD greeting and upload it to the system, configured the Rad Set correctly to play my new message.

Now what I would like to understand now is how does the system, when users call the extension 1 (which is our standard extension), how are they routed to the RAD message when noone answers the call? (Its more because I want to learn how the system works rather than change anything)

What I know but can't find in the system:
Someone calls our number 123456-1 --> 6 different phones ring. Anyone can take it.
If no one answers the call, the RAD greeting gets activated.

What I know and found in the system:
The 6 ringing phones are defined in a Ring group (ext. 30).
I have a hunt group with extension 79, with member DN 81.
DN 81 is mapped to a VM Port 1
VM Port 1 is in turn mapped to RAD Set 1
RAD Set 1 plays my greeting.
There is a Class of service of 8 defined for the RAD.

What I would like to know is how and where does the system route the call from 123456-1 to ring group 30 and in case of no answer to the hunt group 79?

I checked the ACD Paths forms because I thougt that could be it, but they are all empty. Can anyone give me a hint where I could find this configuration.

Again, I just want to understand the system, not modify it...yet :-)

P.S: I don't think a Mitel Training is an option. I'm working for my governement and we don't have money for a training :-)

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 11:52:10 AM »
Let's start with definitions.
A RAD (recorded announcement device) is not voice mail so I'd like to be sure that's not what we're talking about.
Ring groups don't have RADS associated with them.
When you call 123456-1 and it rolls to the greeting does the caller have an opportunity to leave a voice mail?

Ralph
BTW:  What government do you work for?  Just curious?

Offline rizman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 05:31:32 AM »
Sorry again for the late reply. I was out of office over the weekend.

@Ralph:
Yeah, we're talking about RAD, not Voice mail. The thing is, as I understand the configuration left by my predecessor (again,I'm totally new to PBX systems, I might understand this stuff in a wrong way), incoming calls where the RAD Greeting is played are somehow related to the VM (voice mail?) configuration forms. Callers don't have the option to leave a voice mail.

Here is what I found from browsing the config forms (with the help of the Mitel help files):
Ring Group (RG) 30 is where all incoming calls with no or with an unknown extension are "routed" to (however, I don't know where this would be configured. Just looks like that's the "Entry poing". RG 30 has a parameter "overflow Point" set to 79. I guess that's when the "Call Ringing Timer" has expired, calls are routed to the extension 79?
Hunt Group 79 is of type RAD and has a 1 Member, which is Number 81.
Under "VM Ports", the Prime Directory Numer (whatever that is) 81 has a port ID of 1.
Under "VM Greetings", Port ID 1 has a greeting of RAD Set 10.
Under "VM RAD Greetings", RAD Set 10 has a "Greeting 1" parameter set to 2 (which is the RAD Greeting message I uploaded under index 2. I can confirm this through VM Greetings Definitions)
So now I pretty much understand how from RG 30, incoming calls are routed to the RAD Greeting. What I'm trying to find is how incoming calls get to RG 30 in the first place.

Thanks for your time

P.S: I work for the luxemburgish government.

Offline martyn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 06:23:49 AM »
What type of connection do you have to the outside world? In your trunk attributes it will define where incoming calls should go to, or how many digits to strip off, thus leaving you with an extension number. This should tell you how it ends up at the RG. Failing that you may also need to go look in alternate routing, as it may be sending everything to a pilot and then is re-routed based on the Day/N1/N2 mode of the system.

Also, I wouldn't use the first port of VM for RAD's, but if it's working for now and not giving you problems then it's probably not worth changing.

Offline rizman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 06:40:41 AM »
We have 2 ISDN Lines to the outside world for phone calls (don't know that they're called elsewhere in the world) and one analog line for our Fax.

I'll check what you suggested later.

Why is it that VM Port 1 should not be used for RAD's? Works fine for the moment however. Still, I was wondering if that's the right way to do RAD messages? I was a little bit confused when I saw that they use the voice mail configuration forms.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10