Author Topic: Getting the Mitel VOIP phone to get an IP post re-racking (PABX Mitel 3300)  (Read 3744 times)

Offline BarryN

• View Profile
Hello

I moved a Mitel 3300 system today and now find that I cannot get the VOIP phones to pick up an IP. It just states discovering IP, obviously unless the phones pick up an IP I'm stuffed.

Key information
1. Switches HP Procurves -Not sure how they were configured or how to get into them.
2. An alternative DHCP server leaves the phone with an Option 128 error.
3. We only want 10 phones working, all on a single switch and this switch can be solely for the phones-Previously it looks like we had two vlans (Voice & Data), hence the phones could be used to also connect data devices, we also connected it to the Router and a second Switch. I do not appear to be able to ping the default gateway for the switch (not sure where it would be)
4. On a single switch I can connect a Laptop and both obtain an IP and with a static IP talk to the Mitel system (Ping & access the administration console). The IP phones however still refuse to pick up an IP.

I'm obviously missing a trick or something, what's happening

Posted with hope
BarryN

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
You've got something messed up in the switch config/DHCP options.
You'll need to go through the configs on the switches and check the vlans and compare it to the DHCP options in the PBX.

To get you over the hump, boot the phones while holding the 7 key.  Put the phone in teleworker mode by inputting the IP address of the PBX.   If your laptop is getting an IP address then the phone should not get an address and it should work.

You'll still need to figure out what's going on with your vlan/DHCP settings.

Ralph

Offline BarryN

• View Profile
OK, thanks for that, I'll try that on Monday. I realised that the Switches VLAN's and settings are the problem, my problem is that who ever set the system up left no documentation and also appeared to use a switch on a different floor as the one with the key information on, whilst running three separate vlans (one of them not a totally separate network). The other switch has now been relocated, so lots of fun ahead.

I was guessing though that there must be an override for the phones to get an IP.

Since I am now running just 10 phones on an isolated switch (away from any other networks) is there something I can remove in the configuration on the switch to ignore Vlans (Not sure at this stage how to access the HP Procurve switch to reset its configuration)

Regards
BarryN

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
You can edit your DHCP options and remove anything to do with vlans.  Can't think of the specific options just now but I thinks they're pretty obvious.   
Also, (I should have mentioned this earlier) if the switches are using LLDP you'll have to turn it off.   Otherwise it will still try to put the phones in the voice vlan.

Ralph
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:14:29 PM by ralph »

Offline martyn

• View Profile
The story is a bit vague, so there is probably some more information needed.

What model is the HP switch? You should be able to telnet to it and look at the config from there. If needed do a "show run" and paste the output here.

It sounds a bit like a switch config issue, especially if you can get a DHCP address from the Mitel when you plug your laptop in.

Is there a rough network diagram of what is in place? Might help to sketch it out at Layer 2 and Layer 3 and then things become a lot clearer.[/li][/list]

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10