Author Topic: Outlook plug-in for Mitel UCA  (Read 16257 times)

Offline cats

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Outlook plug-in for Mitel UCA
« on: March 01, 2012, 02:11:58 PM »
Hi everyone!

I wanted to ask some advice from the seasoned professionals here, and anyone else who might know the answer ;)

I would like to set up Outlook to enable calls to be made through Mitel from the Outlook window.
After doing a bit of research I cam to the conclusion that UCX supports this feature for 32 bit systems/software and installs an Outlook plug-in for that.
Could anyone tell me if it is possible to only get the plug in, as we already use UCA and whether it is possible to make it work on 64 bit.   

Looking forward to your responses :)

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:53:35 PM by ralph »

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
Re: Outlook plug-in
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 02:35:37 PM »
It would seem to me that if you already use UCA then you already have the ability to dial out via outlook.  To be specific, just one of the many ways I do it is go to the contact in outlook, right-click, and select "Call Contact."

Another box opens up and I then select "Start Call" which kicks UCA into dialing the number in question.  It's nice because if you have more than one number associated with a contact, you can choose whether you are dialing the desktop or cell phone or home phone.

I'm running Win7 64 at home and will have to test dialing out there, as I have UCA running on my home PC, but I fully anticipate it working. 

There was no specific outlook plug in that I was aware of in the UCA install.  It is very Outlook aware.  I have no experience with UCX.  I believe, however, they are extremely closely related.

Offline cats

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »
Hi akuhn

Thank you for your response.

I think something is not set up right on my machine, hence why I assumed I was missing a plug-in.  When I press "Start Call" Outlook gives me an error and if I right click on a contact the phone icon is grayed out and "To use this feature, sign in to an instant messaging program" message is displayed even though I am signed in to UCA.

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 03:39:04 PM »
Try uninstalling and reinstalling and also try enabling outlook integration in the setttings - at least for now.

I'm using Outlook 2007.  Might be an issue if you're still using 2003.  Not sure.

Offline cats

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 03:53:05 PM »
I'm using Office 2010 32 bit  on a Win7 64 bit OS. I've got outlook integration enabled but I'll try re-installing UCA and see if it makes a difference.

(UCA 4.0)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 03:55:49 PM by cats »

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 10:20:11 PM »
My understanding is that the Outlook plugg-in is for contact sync between your Outlook client and your UCA, and calendar Dynamic Status.

I don't think it should effect your ability to call directly out of Outlooks contacts.

On our installs, if a client wants this feature, we walk them through setting up UCA as a modem.

1. Right click on an Outlook Contact, and choose call (Just like akuhn said)
2. Instead of pressing "Start Call", press "Dialing Options..."
3. A "Dialing Options" box should open, at the bottom, there should be a drop down menu for "Connect using line"; make sure this is set to "UCA Phone line"
4. Press the "Dialing Properties..." box
5. Make sure that your "My Location" is setup with your area code, and your PBX escape digit for both outside line access types.
6. Apply and Ok everything till you get back to the "New Call" box. You should now be able to press "Start Call" and Outlook should trigger a UCA dial-out screen

Offline cats

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
Hi bluewhite4, your instructions were great, thanks ! I got it working.

I had to re-install UCA and make a full install of it first to get it working though.

My only remaining issue is that while I can now make a call from the contact, I can not simply hover over a contact's name and click on the phone icon as it is still grayed out.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:12:19 PM by cats »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10