Author Topic: Phone system (Mitel 5000) can't find Exchange Server for UM  (Read 5753 times)

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
Phone system (Mitel 5000) can't find Exchange Server for UM
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:00:51 PM »
Cross Posted in Applications

We changed ISPs on Friday and added a Layer 2 Point to Point between my server room and my vendor's NOC.  My Network management company hosts my Exchange server, BES, and does other stuff for us.

My unified messaging on my 5000 was working fine for us before this.  We had a Sonicwall Point to Point VPN and VM could be delivered to Exchange.

No longer.  I validated the smtp address in the Mitel Admin console.  it's setup as a Name, not an IP address per Mitel's instructions.

My phone system is in my DMZ and I created a NAT policy between the phones and the exchange server in my regular server subnet.

No joy.

If this were a Windows box, I'd run an ipconfig /flushdns to refresh the dns of the machine and make it find the new location. 

Is there someplace else I need to check?  I looked at the web interface of the 5000 to look at logs in the VM section, and it indicates that VM can't be delivered, but it doesn't list the exact error. 

Or do I just reboot the 5000 at COB and see if that works?  I think it's going to be a routing issue, not a 5000 issue, but I just want to know all of the places to look.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Adam in DC
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:20:59 AM by ralph »

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
Re: Phone system (5000) can't find Exchange Server for UM
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:23:21 AM »
Some progress.  We created a NAT policy and an access rule and messages we delivered again.

However, I had to open all ports on the access rule.  Port 25 being open wasn't enough.  Anyone know what other ports are needed to deliver email to an exchange server?

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: Phone system (5000) can't find Exchange Server for UM
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »
Just guessing here but how about port 110?

Ralph

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
Re: Phone system (Mitel 5000) can't find Exchange Server for UM
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 11:23:03 AM »
We'll look into it.  Thanks!

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »
Just heard from Mitel and they agree that this is an important question since more and more folks are outsourcing Exchange.  The tech I spoke with also said that it's very hard to find the answer!

But, they suggested starting with ports 25 for smtp, TCP port 143 for Non encrypted and 993 for encrypted.

I think I should also look at the exchange mailbox properties for vismail (that's the account name user) and see what's enabled and disabled.  I think imap needs to be enabled.

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 12:10:24 PM »
Success!  To summarize:

25 - SMTP
TCP 143
TCP 993
both IMAP

Then on the exchange server, I enabled MAPI and IMAP for the email box vismail and disabled everything else.  Hope this helps someone else in the same situation.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 01:39:37 PM »
Thanks for the update.  That was worth tweeting!   :)

Ralph

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10