Author Topic: An experience with Call Glare or Call Collision  (Read 3820 times)

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
An experience with Call Glare or Call Collision
« on: February 01, 2012, 11:53:18 AM »
We switched PRI providers as part of a larger telecom switch for new ISP, Layer 2 to a NOC, Failover and PRI.

It has been a very difficult switchover with huge call quality issues.  Yesterday they all came to a head, but our Mitel tech figured it out over the phone after talking with me for about 5 minutes.

Call Glare or Call Collision.

He said that our 5000 is programmed like most 5000s out there in that outgoing calls start at the top of the 23 channels available to us on a T1.

I pick up the phone and dial out.  I use Channel 23.  The next person uses 22 and so on.

Unforutnately, our dialtone provider was routing all in bound calls to those same channels.  It should have been setup from the bottom up...channel 1, 2, 3 ,etc.

So, when inbound and outbound collided, it would totally shut down the channel until a reboot of the entire system. That meant that many staff were getting fast busy signals and incoming calls with no sound.

The PRI provider was telling me I had a hardware problem, but my Mitel tech knew better.

The hard part was convincing the provider to get their chief voice engineer to tunnel into their Adtran unit in my server room and "turn it upside-down" so that the problem could be resolved.  Some front line techs told me that it couldn't be done...the Adtran wasn't that flexible...etc etc.

But in the end, I think it took the guy 5 minutes to flip the switch.  After that I rebooted the system, and now the calls are being evenly distributed at both ends of the spectrum.

Learning to use the Mitel System Admin and Diagnostics was key to gaining the visibility into the system so I could see what was going on...and then screen sharing with the tech so he didn't have to physically show up on site.  It's been days and days of bad phone experience and I'm hoping that we're now set for the future much better.

Adam in DC

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: An experience with Call Glare or Call Collision
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 01:10:40 PM »
Thanks, Akuhn.
Great detail on what happened.   I'm a bit perplexed about glare or collision causing a channel to completely shut down.
I would think Mitel should have a fix for that.

Ralph

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
Re: An experience with Call Glare or Call Collision
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 01:20:50 PM »
perhaps because it's the 5000 series.  I liken it to a Electric Substation shutting down so that the entire east coast doesn't have a black out.  Who know?

Thanks for the feed back.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10