Author Topic: Deploy UnifiedCommunicatorAdvanced.MSI via GPO / Group Policy  (Read 21220 times)

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
Re: Deploy UnifiedCommunicatorAdvanced.MSI via GPO / Group Policy
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 10:58:34 AM »
If you look at my posts above in this thread when I was dealing with this issue, it might help.  In my case, I did not add any fields to the MSI package.  What I did was identify the fields in the package that already existed and added my public server name to the field. 

ie mitel.yourcompany.com

However, if adding fields works for others, I won't dispute that.

I was using a package called InstEdit - instead of the more popular ORCA.

When I saved the new MSI file and then installed it...I still had the result of the package needing the server name, even though I already had put it in.  So simply editing the MSI file and running it was not the solution.  I think you are finding that out.

Since I have experience with running MSI files against MST files in GPO deployments, I decided to use the feature in InstEdit that would generate the Transform MST file.

So the result was that I had the UCA.msi file and a UCA.mst file - with the mst file just having that domain name in it to populate the necesary files.

With this in hand, I created a GPO that included both the msi and mst files and the result was a silent install with the UCA client pointing to the correct server.  The MST file serves as sort of an "answer file" for the msi and fills in that needed field.

Now some caveats: 

You need to know about deploying GPOs with MST files. 

You also have a heavy duty prerequisite of the Net 4.0 package needing to be on your workstations BEFORE you push out the UCA.  That is a whole other discussion!  If you look at this link:  http://mitelforums.com/forum/index.php/topic,2290.0.html  you will see I used WSUS to do that - which is a whole other subject too!

Finally, at the end of this, you have a installed client!  Great.  But you still need to visit the users and get them to login with their unique username and passwords.  Since I only have a staff of 65, I hit them all and logged them in, marked it automatic and to login on startup and even uploaded their picture

These challenges are in no way unique to the Mitel product.  It's the nature of deploying software and something that every good IT manager has to know how to figure out. 

Hope this helps.

Offline jaaye

• View Profile
Re: Deploy UnifiedCommunicatorAdvanced.MSI via GPO / Group Policy
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 11:51:27 PM »
Took me an hour to figure out but 2 methods of doing it are:

a) run the msi installer as msiexec /i uca.msi /qn UC_SERVER_HOSTNAME=yourfqdn.com

OR (using an msi editor like Orca)

b) edit the MSI "Property" table. Add a property of UC_SERVER_HOSTNAME with a value of yourfqdn.com. Deploy using uca.msi /qn

Havent needed to change the install language but within that same property table is a property UC_LANGUAGE which you can probably edit to one of the language values found in the ComboBox table (en-GB etc)

Might test it out later.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:10:26 AM by jaaye »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10