Author Topic: proper way to remove / reassign an extension?  (Read 4183 times)

Offline estafford

• View Profile
proper way to remove / reassign an extension?
« on: October 18, 2011, 10:03:54 AM »
Hello..

I have a remote employee set up with the teleworker solution in a 3300 ICP. Recently, his 5215 set stopped working. It gets an IP from his local DHCP and then hangs at "downloading 10..."
But that another issue! What I need to do is assign his extension to another phone and ship it to him as a replacement asap.

The replacement phone I have available to use already has another extension assigned (101).
What I need to do is:

• Delete the extension (101) on the phone that will be used as the replacement.
  • Change the replacement extension to the remote workers existing extension (102).
I know there are a number of forms that the extension numbers appear in. Is there a a base/root form where changes made to an extension will effect other forms it appears in?

My thought is to use
Group Administration Tool > Manage Extensions > Delete (101)
Group Administration Tool > Manage Extensions > Edit (102) and update the MAC with the former 101 MAC to assign the 102 extension to it.

Is that the proper way to go about this, and if not, can anyone direct me to the information on the proper way to do this. I do not have a MOL account unfortuniately.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:30:24 AM by estafford »

Offline brantn

• View Profile
Re: proper way to remove / reassign an extension?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:59:35 AM »
Would have to know what all the phone is set to do. I say the best way is to do what you are thinking through system admin.

Device Configuration Delete 101 and then edit 102 is 101 going to be used again if so you could just clear the MAC and put it on 102.

Offline estafford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 11:31:17 AM »
@brantn - Thanks for the reply!

Both phones are set as multiline devices. I assume I'd make the changes you mention in the Multiline IP Set Configuration form?

Will that also update/effect other instances of the extension found on other forms?

Thanks again!

Offline brantn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 03:58:04 PM »
Depending on what is programmed on the set for keys and groups you might have to remove it from other forms before the delete, but yes you can move the MAC and it will update the phone. You might need to move buttons or anything else that needs to be done. You can also do a renumber as well.

Offline estafford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 05:45:06 PM »
Brantn - Thanks for the info. I used the Multiline IP Set Config form and deleted the MAC for ext 101, leaving it blank and update the MAC for ext 102 with the phone's MAC that was on 101. I plugged the phone in  with its new assigned extension and it came right up and rings when dialed via ext or DID. Initially, these two phones were identically programmed it looks like nothing else needed to be changed.

The bad news is that it didn't resolve the issues my remote employee is having. But that's for another post.

Thanks again for the help.

Offline brantn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 09:16:09 PM »
I just recently posted for another user remote issue applies as well when remote workers are stuck a default of the phone and then router if that doesn't fix it has worked every time for me.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10