Author Topic: Clusters - Do I need them  (Read 2237 times)

Offline ASCStech

• View Profile
Clusters - Do I need them
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:03:03 PM »
All,
getting a little confused over the cluster issue.
I am configuring a remote CXiII for a customer that is going to use our MXE as a gateway to the PSTN. Having never done IP trunking before I followed the help sheets and got it all working. However I have some questions re clustering.
1. Can I configure IP networking without Clustering.
2. Why do I need CEID digits. (works fine with ARS digits pointing to the route).
3. Can I stop the Cluster ID being shown on the sets when there is a call between nodes.
Both PABX's are MCD 4.2
Thanks
Chris

Offline Mattmayn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Clusters - Do I need them
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 11:01:55 AM »
Clustering is meant to make things easier on you as an admin.

I am not sure the situation of you being the gateway for a customer and if you would really want to cluster the sites or not.

1. You can configure IP trunking without building a Cluster. If you have a large site(s) then building the cluster will automate much of the routing for you by either using OPS Man for Tel Dir distribution (pre MCD 4.1) or the built-in sync (MCD 4.1 +).
2. The CEID numbers associate a DN to a site basically. This allows you to route only the the CEID numbers and not DNs individually (only in clusters). When this is done and you are sharing the Tel Dir between sites you can have a mixture of DNs at each site and not have a ridiculously complicated ARS.
3. The CEIDs should not show on the displays of the sets when you place calls between sites. They do show in the SMDR data if you are using a call accouting suite or something similar to that.

Does this make sense and answer your questions?

The only downside I can think of to building a cluster with your 3300 and a customer's 3300 is that you would also share your phonebook in the system. Also, if you chose to do so make sure that you don't allow a SDS Sync of any forms that would be different between the sites. COS would be a big one that would cause issues.

Offline ASCStech

• View Profile
Re: Clusters - Do I need them
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 12:12:16 AM »
Thanks Mattmayn,
that does answer the question.
we are a little unusual in how we provide services but basically there will be no extn-extn dialling between the two PABX's. Also the customer is having their own DDi E1 presented to our PABX which is then extended over the IPtrunks to them via our IP network. We won't be sharing directories or extension numbers so no need for a cluster. I'm happy now that I know.
Cheers
Chris

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10