Author Topic: Message Light Flashing each Morning when User Arrives to Work  (Read 8644 times)

Offline russell6593mitel

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Message Light Flashing each Morning when User Arrives to Work
« on: August 02, 2011, 09:25:22 AM »
We have a Mitel 3300 and the user has a Mitel 5340 IP phone. As of about a week ago or so, the phone is always flashing in the morning when she arrives to work indicating that she has a message but when she checks voicemail, it does not have a message. Simply checking voicemail is enough to clear it and it does not happen again until the next morning upon her arrival to work. I have observed this for 4 days now to confirm it is really happening.

The past three times, instead of calling the voicemail, I have used the "messaging" button on the phone to see what I could find out. The "messaging" button is one of the buttons that appears on the LCD display above the programmable buttons ("message" isn't a programmed button, it automatically appears if the phone has voicemail). I get the following:

1) If I press "messaging" I get choices to:

- Read Message (this calls voicemail; if I go into her voicemail there is nothing but it clears the light)

OR

- Erase Message (this erases it and clears the light)

OR

- Call (this calls voicemail; if I go into her voicemail there is nothing but it clears the light)

OR

- More Msg... (this shows 2 more screens of info indicating it is "3:01, (today's date), at 3960 (which is voicemail)

SO - I think the voicemail system is triggering the message light on her phone at 3:01 each morning. Not sure why though?

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: Message Light Flashing each Morning when User Arrives to Work
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 10:24:02 AM »

Update We have published a solution paper to this here

What kind of voice mail?
Embedded?  NuPoint?  Something else?

Also, is the phone (or any key on the phone) a member of any hunt group?

Ralph
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 07:28:10 PM by ralph »

Offline russell6593mitel

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 02:44:04 PM »
The voicemail is part of the 3300 itself (no seperate system / no seperate software for voicemail). So, I think that means Embedded.

The phone itself is not a member of a hunt group, however 2 keys one the phone are a member of the same hunt group. The keys on the phone are line type "Key System". There are two keys because the hunt group has two lines and we want them to be able to answer both lines.

There are a couple of other people in this particular office with their phones setup the same way who have not experienced the issue.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 04:14:47 PM »
Here's what I think,(so you're going to have to test).

The phone is being lit up by the voice mail box of the hunt group of the two keys.

Do this test:   be sure the light is off.   Be sure there are no voice mails in the box of the hunt group.
Leave a vm in the voice mail box of the hunt group.  (not the vm of the phone - must be the hunt group)
See if the light is lit.

If it is, let us know and then I'll explain why this is.

Ralph

Offline russell6593mitel

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:05:58 AM »
I tested it as you described:
(1) Made sure no voicemails in the box of the hunt group.
(2) Then Left vm in the voicemail box of the hunt group.
(3) And sure enough, upon doing that, the light on the phone lit up.

So, it did behave exactly as you predicted. Which is good, as it sounds like you know what this means.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »
So here's what's happening (I like to call this a feature)
When a voice mail lights a light, it lights the 1st phone that has the 1st key programmed in the hunt group.

Let's see if I can walk you through this:

When you program a hunt group of keys, you program them one at a time (Captain obvious here).
So you program key 1xxx on phone #1, then 2xxx on phone #1 and then move to phone number #2 and program keys 1xxx and 2xxx.
Then you create hunt group 3xxx with 1xxx with 2xxx as members.

Then you create a mail box for the hunt group.  The mailbox will be 3xxx.

Here's the feature:   When someone leaves a VM in box 3xxx, the vm tells the 3300 to light the light on 3xxx.   
Since you can't light a light on a hunt group it turns on the light for the 1st member.   
Since the first member is not a real phone, it lights the light on the phone where the 1st member was programmed on 1st.

Now to verify this, go to the Multiline group assignment form.   Look up the 1st member of your hunt group.
What you'll see is that at the top of the members list for that group will be the phone that is having the message waiting light issue.

Did you follow all that?

Here's the fix: 
Delete your existing hunt group.   Create an new hunt group with a new number and assign every member except the 1st one.
Touch each phone where the keys are programmed and change the first one to be number of the original hunt group number.
Next create a new 1st alternative that says 'This' for all busy conditions and 'last' for all NA conditions.   The target will be the new hunt group you created.
Next go to the call rerouting assignment form ans assign your new 1st alternative to the old hunt group number (which is now a key) and us a second alternative that points to your VM hunt group.

Now test.   If the 1st line is busy it will hunt to the new hunt group.  If it doesn't answer it will go to vm.
Now, create a msg waiting key on the phones that use the hunt group.  This will light now where there is a message in the hunt group.

Let us know how it works and then send beer.
Ralph

\

Offline russell6593mitel

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 12:23:08 PM »
Thanks for your detailed answer; that is very helpful.

Schedule-wise, I think I'm going to wait until Wednesday to try this, so it'll be some days until I reply back to confirm, but sounds like you've got it.

thanks!

Offline russell6593mitel

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 03:59:54 PM »
This is now fixed. It has been 3 days now since the fix and the problem has not returned.

For the solution, we deleted the hunt group and recreated it. We also noticed an error in our call routing setup (we hadn't properly told it where to send no answer / busy calls). After doing both of those, everything is now fine.

We did first try the steps that you outlined, but it wasn't delivering the voicemail on no answers. That being said, before we got too deep in it to really figure out why, we recreated the hunt group since it had been deleted, and noticed an error we made previously in our routing for these phones (we weren't telling it where to go on no answer calls), and then the problem was resolved, so we were all set then anyway.

thanks!!

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 04:40:22 PM »
Thanks for the update.
Glad it's working for you.

Ralph

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10