Author Topic: hotdesking  (Read 4308 times)

Offline davidcrisp

• Contributer
    • View Profile
hotdesking
« on: February 16, 2011, 05:21:06 AM »
Has anyone got any suggestions on the most cost effective way to achieve hotdesking - Our estate consists of approx 4000 5212's and 2000 5224's - However when you hotdesk between differing model there is an issue with the key mappings ? Is anyone using the softphone as a hotdesking solution - if so could you let me know how your getting on with it. Thankyou.

Offline Chakara

• View Profile
    • Kyle Petree
Re: hotdesking
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:33:42 PM »
  Let me start by saying - I've never used a softphone on a Mitel.  That aside, I'm having a hard time getting my head around what you are looking for?  Do you want a softphone setup on the PC's that people would literally use the Mitel hotdesking feature on to make it their own?  Or replace deskphones with softphones - and people unique profiles on the PC's would give them their phone?

Perhaps clarification will help the folks that know the softphones better than I give you a better answer.

-Chak

Offline brantn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 05:11:15 PM »
As far as softphones go I would assume your key mapping would be limited as well however you would have a directory at your fingertips. Yes that is a pain in hotdesking is that button mapping gets screwed up if they hotdesk to a smaller phone. To me you are not solving the problem as far as buttons go. My question might be is there a pc there could you also do a UC deployment or are the buttons that big of a deal? Part of this is end user training. The only other real possiblity I see to make everything seemless is to get all the same phones or at least the same number of buttons.

Offline wiseguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 05:32:47 PM »
First of all I would like to mention that the remark "Buttons are getting screwed" is not accured. The buttons programmed will appear where appropriate. If your default phone has 24 buttons setup and you login to a 5212/5312 the first 12 buttons are there the rest is not. seems obvious.
As for what you are looking for I hope is UCA. The least amount of buttons is 12 and I assume that a part of the buttons on a 24 is used to monitor other devices. That can be done on the UCA desktop client. A softphone will not provide buttons.

Offline brantn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:39:32 PM »
I meant the first twelve will be remapped into one row as you stated losing the last 12 buttons of a 24 button phone. So an option would be to set your critical buttons to the first 12 and user speed calls to the last 12.

Offline davidcrisp

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 06:31:37 AM »
Thanks everyone for your feedback - its very useful.
I perhaps confused matters by asking two questions in one.

My first was around the issue of hotdesking using two differing models of phones - 5212 and 5224's and the problems with the different button mappings.

The second question was related to issue above - I am in the process of evaluating the UCA ver 3.2 and was wondering if anyone had rolled this solution out, if so if people could give me an idea of how the roll out went in terms of issues, cost and user perception.

Thanks again everyone who has replied.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10