Author Topic: New to VoIP and Mitel. Directory name across a cluster  (Read 9010 times)

Offline fuzzysteve

• Contributer
    • View Profile
New to VoIP and Mitel. Directory name across a cluster
« on: February 09, 2011, 12:50:17 PM »
Hey Everyone,

My Company has a VoIP connection between 2 of our offices.  We were using a trixbox in one location but that was recently upgraded to a mtiel 3300 to match the one in our home office.  last week we did the cut over to a cluster with the new Mitel box and everything is running nicely.  I have been in contact with our support company a couple of times and they are great but since we will be putting in a box in our 3rd location in the next couple of months I would really like to learn more about how the Mitel systems work.

So, here's my question. Though our connection works to our 2nd location, when calling those handsets instead of getting the users name on my display i get "IP Trunk".  This happens in both directions. Calls inside each location display properly.  The support company suggested I look in the help files under class of service which I did but I'm still a little too green to fully understand all the options.

Can anyone here give me a hand.  I will gladly pass along any info that you need.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: New to VoIP and Mitel. Directory name across a cluster
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 01:13:42 PM »
What kind of IP trunks are you using?
You could be using SIP or Mitel's own IP trunk version.

Ralph
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:47:24 PM by ralph »

Offline fuzzysteve

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 01:38:46 PM »
Using Mitel's connections over a VPN connection between offices.

Offline wiseguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 03:10:10 AM »
The text that is shown while on a trunk connection is always locally generated and is programmed on the Trunk Attributes page. This is probebly shared through SDS so removing at one location will also remove at the other side. (if programmed logical) There is no need to have text against internal trunks.

Offline fuzzysteve

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 06:15:41 PM »
The text that is shown while on a trunk connection is always locally generated and is programmed on the Trunk Attributes page. This is probebly shared through SDS so removing at one location will also remove at the other side. (if programmed logical) There is no need to have text against internal trunks.

Ok, that started me in the right direction.  I can now change what is displayed on the phone when calling between locations and I know what COS I'm using for Trunk call.  Now what happens is:

I call john in local office. my phone displays extension and the name "john" on my phone.
I call Mark in a remote office on a second 3300.  My phone Displays extension and "I can't do that Dave" (i have to keep myself amused)

What I want to happen is for Mark's name to display on my phone when I call him in the remote office.

could this be fixed my having the phone directory from both locations replicated to each other?  if so, how would I set that up?

thanks for your help.

Offline v2win

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 10:31:08 PM »
In the class of service of the trunks and phones play around with the  display caller id settings

Offline wiseguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 02:30:27 PM »
Default settings on an IP trunk is nothing against the Trunk Attributes as comment. Extensions have the first 5 Display options enabled in there COS.
Name the extensions on both side and the names are shown. If you use last name and forst name the system might shorten the first name.

Offline fuzzysteve

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 03:08:23 PM »
unfortunately I had to put this a side for a bit. but I am back
In the class of service of the trunks and phones play around with the  display caller id settings

Tried that but I was a little trigger shy.  I didn't want to break anything now that my VoIP system is working. I looked through the help files extensively and wasn't certain which change in the COS would help my situation.
Default settings on an IP trunk is nothing against the Trunk Attributes as comment. Extensions have the first 5 Display options enabled in there COS.
Name the extensions on both side and the names are shown. If you use last name and forst name the system might shorten the first name.

Shouldn't these replicate across the two 3300s using SDS?  If the display options are in the COS can you point me in the direction of specific rules?

Also, the "Trunk label" in the Trunk Attributes table is set to IP Trunk.  I have confirmed that the label can be changed and that the new value will appear on the phone while calling the other location. 

Offline wiseguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 03:06:28 PM »
Please make sure that the IP Trunk is removed as Trunk Label. Why someone put it in there is not useful. What will any caller inside your company gain info wise if they see that this call is routed over an IP Trunk. Doesn't sound better :D
Check the COS settings against the phones.
To see if the name is send to the other side use the following command:
CCS TR EN CON
Make a call to the other side and stop the trace use the following command:
CCS TR DIS

You should see the name in the trace.

Offline Keithw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 11:03:44 AM »
Trunk Labels will not matter at all. They only kick in if there is no name on the Extension in the Tel Dir of the Other 3300, so it will default to the label name. You need to make sure the entries in the Tel Dir of the other 3300 are correct and them in the COS if the IP Trunk, make sure the correct Options are turned on. The "IP/XNET Trunk Group Assignment" will show you what Trunk Group they are in, then look in the "IP/XNET Trunk Profile Assignment" and it will show you the Trunk Service number the IP Trunks are assigned, then look in the "Trunk Service Assignment" referenced before and this will show you the COS assigned to these Trunks. Now you can go to "Class of Service Options assignment" for the before referenced COS and make sure the following Options are turned on:
ANI/DNIS/ISDN Number Delivery Trunk
Display ANI/ISDN Calling Number Only
Display ANI/DNIS/ISDN Calling/Called Number
Display Caller ID on Multicall/Keylines

This should get you there at a minimum. Sorry for any spelling errors.

Keith

Offline Chakara

• View Profile
    • Kyle Petree
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 11:22:22 PM »
LOL - I live in spelling hell.  It's amazing if I get it right now and then!

-Chak

Offline brantn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 12:20:12 PM »
It is helpful for admins to have trunks named so you know what trunks you are working on without digging that is why you should comment everything. As far as names in a cluster what load of software are you on are you sharing teldirs. The name is derived through teldir. Yes there are some COS options that should be enabled under the display section.

Offline fuzzysteve

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 11:44:13 AM »
Sorry for a MUCH delayed response to this thread.  I was able to get a hold of my provider and they had one of their experts look into the issue. The issue was not with the COS that allowed traffic but with the COS at the second loaction that was set to suppress the name on the extensions.  I knew the COS they were talking about at the time but I can't remember it now.  I hope this helps anyone who has this issue in the future.

On to the other issues :-D  Thanks everyone for ALL of your help.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10