Author Topic: Planning for 5000 install  (Read 18858 times)

Offline NTEDave

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Planning for 5000 install
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 07:39:38 AM »
Note:  The 5000 doesn't act as a DHCP server.

Ralph

Yet  ;)

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 09:21:32 PM »
The easiest way to do DHCP for Mitel phones in a network with a 5000 that doesn't have a DHCP server capable of handing out the correct options is to purchase a used PC or older server that is Linux compliant (or the customer may have an old PC/server laying around, those old Windows Server 2000/2003 boxes work great), and install MSL but do not license it or register it with AMC, then you have gained two (possibly 3) very useful tools, a SMTP email relay server, a Mitel compatible DHCP server, and if needed it can be a router or inter-VLAN gateway as well. We typically use some 3-4 year old dual-core HP business class PC's from state surplus that we get for $40-$80, works like a champ! Or if the customer insist on a new unit, there are sub-$300 PCs that work well available from many vendors.

Hi Ace,

I'm curious as to how you do inter-vlan routing with MSL, do you use just the one NIC?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 01:47:54 PM »
No, you would use two NICs, one on each VLAN... there maybe a way to do it with one NIC, but I am not aware of it.

This is more complicated than it appears initially though, typically it is accomplished with THREE NICs, one to each VLAN and one to the public internet, then it becomes the gateway and router for entire network. In some cases that is a usable configuration, but in others it is not.

Note that using the MSL server for most of these applications is not directly supported (or recommended) by Mitel.

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 08:14:25 PM »
Thanks ace,

Thought that may be the case.
I know it would be possible to do it on a single NIC through root console programming on the interfaces but again would not be supported or recommended.
I was just hoping for a gui way.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10