Author Topic: NuPoint VM hard drive failure  (Read 2294 times)

Offline evan631

• View Profile
NuPoint VM hard drive failure
« on: January 07, 2011, 10:46:12 AM »
We have nupoint in a raid config with drives 0 and 1.  Drive 1 (secondary) has failed, and we received a new drive.  Our Mitel tech is telling us the voicemail server needs to be down for 90min, to get new drive working.

Is it true they are not hot swappable, and the data will not rebuild without having to take the server down?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

-Evan

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NuPoint VM hard drive failure
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:11:43 PM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but....

The drives are not hot swappable because they are in a programmed RAID, not a hardware RAID. However, once the new hard-drive is in place I though you could bring the system back online, and with it still running, it would sync the data. So the down-time would only need to be the length of time needed to place the new drive.

I maybe wrong about this though.

Also, our standard practice is to back up the system, and replace both hard-drives if something like this happens. We then restore the system on two the new drives. This way the drives are always the same age. The thought has been in our shop that if one drive goes, the other could go at any time because of their age and frequency of use.

Offline Mitelmindset

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Re: NuPoint VM hard drive failure
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 03:28:01 PM »
I agree with the last response....

The time is spent "replacing the hardware" but that can be minimal depending on how much clear access you have to the PBX (referring to patch cables blocking access, rack position,...). I know that the mirroring process take time depends on the amount of data you have to run your system (prompts, voicemail, customized voice scripts). I also agree with backing up...I do daily using and EMan script.
It is a great thought about installing 2 new drives. One has failed...the other will sooner thant later then your time to replace the 2nd drive will double your down time and hard drives are cheap these days.

Food for thought....best of luck

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10