Author Topic: Connecting an 5312 & Admin Manuals  (Read 7510 times)

Offline ascenseur

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Connecting an 5312 & Admin Manuals
« on: November 02, 2010, 03:47:07 PM »
Hey :)

I currently co-habit an office at the school, and as part of this I have to supply my own IP Telephone for the system.
(Long and complicated, but it works for me!)

Anyway, I bought the phone, only to find out that the system "administrator" is in fact not the true administrator.
It is meant to be managed by the Facilities Management company, but they don't do anything about it, and so it's all be shovelled onto this one person.

We are both clueless as how to go about adding an IP extension onto the system.

If you could please add details of how to do this, that would be really great :)

Also, if you have any admin manuals (i.e. how to use the web config tool, general administration etc.) I'd love it if you can send them on!

Thanks,

Joe

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting an 5312 & Admin Manuals
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 04:04:55 PM »
Wow!  This will be a challenge.

There's a lot of things that need to be answered before we can even start to ask the questions that matter.

For example:   (1) Do you have the login passwords to the system?  If not: we're done.
(2) Do you have a data drop in your office that will give you access to the voice vlan?   Can't assume that because you can plug your PC into a data drop and it works that your phone will too.
(3) What type of phone system does the school have?   I assume that because you are asking the question on this section of the forum that it is, but you know what they say about assumptions.....
(4) <insert any 1 of about 20 more additional question here>

These are some "lets start from scratch" questions that you'd have to know in order to do this.   Even then, I would doubt that anyone would give you the passwords if you're not the admin of the server.

Best bet here would be to find out which company is actually servicing the PBX and have them program up the phone for you with everything you need.   You may have to also buy an IP Phone license in order to make it work.

Ralph
www.university-music-on-hold.com

Offline ascenseur

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »
Hey, thanks for the reply!

(1) Do you have the login passwords to the system

Yep. Sure diddly do!

(2) Do you have a data drop in your office that will give you access to the voice vlan?

Yep, PoE too :) The voice VLAN is enabled, and I can swap it around in the cabinet should needs be.

(3) What type of phone system does the school have?

Mitel 3300 ICP - I know that!
I believe that it's version 4.0

We have IP Phone Licenses on the system. And I would more than happily get Bailey Teswaine add it, but at

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 04:56:20 PM »
Yep. Sure diddly do!
I like that.   :D

So it sounds like you in a spot we can actually work with.
When you plug your phone in, does it ask for a PIN Number?  If yes, that tells us your phone is talking to your 3300 and the network connection should be fine.
I'm surprised that the servicing vendor would need to send a tech to site.   If you phone is asking for a PIN then this could easily be done remotely.

I'm running out of time at the moment but there's a couple of things you can do here.
See if you can find out what your DID range is for your building and the numbering scheme.  Your extension range should be something like XXXX to YYYY.   
Then login to your system, find the "maintenance commands" form and enter "locate all free dn <lowest exten> to <highest exten>
We can pick your new extension number from there.

I'll be able to help you further tomorrow or perhaps someone else can jump in on this.

Ralph
www.aavoicepro.com

Offline ascenseur

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 05:10:16 PM »
Hey,

No, if I set it up via DHCP, it says "Option 128 Missing" (TFTP Server). I know this is because we haven't yet set up the TFTP server, as we don't use auto-provisioning services
I have to set it up statically, and will have time tomorrow to finalise this and restart, as it was end-of-the-day when I tried and ran out of time!

BaileyT either charge

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 08:09:29 PM »
Here's a trick to use to bypass the need to add option 128:
As the phone boots, hold the 7 key.  When it ask if you want to config teleworker, say yes.
Change the IP address to be the IP of the 3300.  Save and let it reboot.
If it went right, it will ask for a PIN number.   

Ralph
Royalty Free Music

SXWizard

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 08:12:41 PM »
If you are getting "Option 128 missing" it means that the IP phones have been assigned static IP addresses and are not using DHCP or the system is using option 125 and the firmware in the phone is too old to recognize that option.. If you have any clue as to the IP address scheme you can enter a static address in the phone by holding down the volume up button when you power up the phone. Then follow the screen prompts.

Editors Note July 15, 2012:  More can be found here
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:59:01 PM by ralph »

Offline ascenseur

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 02:34:09 AM »
Thanks ralph, I'll try that :)

As for what you said, SXWizard, I've already set it up statically, just haven't had the time to restart it yet, as I had to leave yesterday a bit early.

Offline ascenseur

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 01:08:53 PM »
Hello :)

I've gone in today and have been told by the "admin" that it she doesn't want the phone self-installed by us; (Last time the IT technicians we have in-house tried to do stuff to the system, they managed to corrupt the entire thing - So she's very wary) and so will be getting Bailey Teswaine out to do it at a later date when they are doing some other ones.

However, this is likely to be between February and April... Not good!

>.<

And to think I shelled out

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10