Author Topic: Is it possible to set up analog ringer bell to mitel ip phone using grandstream  (Read 3200 times)

Offline scottH

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Hi be nice first post. We have just gone over to Mitle voip system at our school and our kitchen staff cannot hear the phone when it rings as its very quiet and in an office, the phone is a 5304 ip phone. We have a bell in the kitchen itself with a analg cable running back to where the old phone was located, i have a grandstream ata adapter  (HT802) and i was wondering if its possible to connect the phone and bell via this? and if so whats involved, im new to this and not very up with Voip systems.

Thanks.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Sure, it works fine... Except you need to keep in mind that the Grandstream only puts out 45-60VAC for ringing which may not work with some analog ringers.

Depending which system you have, you maybe able to use the old bell and cable though. Most physical (non-virtualized) Mitel controls have usable analog ports embedded in them. If one is free, you could have it programmed and connect the ringer to it.

There are also IP only options like ringers/strobes from Algo that are just programmed as a generic SIP device.

Offline scottH

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply as i said im new to voip, im more at home with computer networks. would it take much setting up to get this too work? im guessing the network still connects to the ip phone which then using rj45 connects to the grandstream box which then connects to the bell via one of of the FXS ports? also ive logged into the grandstream via its ip address and it looks like another language to me so i have no idea what to configure and where in there.

Offline Dogbreath

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Create a SIP extension for the Grandstream, configure the ATA to use the settings [minimum: IP address of phone system, username (extension number) and PIN]. Check you can dial the ATA.
Then: create a Personal Ring Group with the same number as the kitchen 5304, add the ATA's extension number to it. Check or uncheck One Busy All Busy to taste.

Offline x-man

• View Profile
Or....if you have a spare copper pair to the bell location and that goes to near the 3300 then just crimp on aRJ11 at the 3300 end and plug in to an analogue port and wire to the bell (depending on the age you may need a master socket twixt the 3300 and the bell for a capacitor. Program the analogue port with a number and add it to the kitchen extension as a personal ring group.

Offline scottH

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Create a SIP extension for the Grandstream, configure the ATA to use the settings [minimum: IP address of phone system, username (extension number) and PIN]. Check you can dial the ATA.
Then: create a Personal Ring Group with the same number as the kitchen 5304, add the ATA's extension number to it. Check or uncheck One Busy All Busy to taste.

Thanks for the above, So if ive got this right.

1. On ATA the ipaddress (is the the mitel controller ip address?)
2. When you say check you can dial the ATA do you mean by having the phone connected to it?
3. Is or should the ATA's extension be that of the present phone i.e ext 1234?

Sorry as mentioned im new to voip.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Offline Dogbreath

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Yes.
  • I would start by testing with the bell. If that doesn't work, troubleshoot with an analogue set.
  • No, you won't be able to do that.

Offline scottH

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Thanks, still struggling with where to enter the details in the ATA, ive tried uploading / inserting a picture but no joy.

its like a different language to me all this  ;D

am i looking in the right area?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:08:17 AM by scottH »

Offline Dogbreath

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Yeah, you need to fill in the 1st, 4th and 6th boxes at a minimum.

Offline scottH

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Great so at least im looking at the right area

im guessing box 1 is the ip address of the controller (Mitel)

SiP User id (do i get this from the Mitel Controller?

Authenticate Password is this the one that is set on the mitel controller?

Sorry for all the questions i am a complete novice to this

Where would i set the ring group

Offline Dogbreath

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
SIP user ID (username) will be the extension number you created for the ATA.
The password will be what you set in the "SIP Password" field when you created the extension.
Personal Ring Groups is the form you are looking for

Offline scottH

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Thanks, i haven't set anything up yet on the ATA as i was not sure what was needed and where.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10