Author Topic: Play Canned Messages over PAGING? Ideas?  (Read 2382 times)

Offline cpegeno

• View Profile
Play Canned Messages over PAGING? Ideas?
« on: January 16, 2018, 03:03:22 PM »
We have a client who wants to play "canned" (pre-recorded) messages over their paging port.
I.e., "there is a fire... or shooter in the building, etc..."

They want to be able to dial in/press a paging key on their phones (8568/8528 digital), and have the system open paging, play a canned message etc...
I am baffled.
I can build a button/key to open paging, but for the system to then play a message, it doesn't add up.
system is MiVO 250/5000 on 6.2.2.13, and the phones are 8568/8528s.

Please help!

Geno

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Play Canned Messages over PAGING? Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 03:27:31 PM »
cpegeno,

You would need something like a SIP device that can have pre-recorded messages on it that can also perform the page via a dial string. Viking makes something like that you can use.

Thanks,

TE

Offline cpegeno

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 09:23:05 AM »
Thanks. I will give that a gander.
I was wondering if a work around could be made, where when an extension is called, it answers/goes off hook/prompts calling a phantom number/cra message only.
I will pay with it and see what can be bent, without breaking it.

Do you happen to know what that Viking device is called?

Thanks for your time!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 10:20:35 AM »
I would call Viking and explain what you are trying to do, their sales support is really good.

Offline cpegeno

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 10:54:26 AM »
Ace,

I don't have a Viking device yet. I was just curious what device/model it is that allows for this.

I was trying to set up an 8568 key, that when you press it, opens a port (paging) that connects to the overhead speaker, but  also (simultaneously) rings-down to a CRA or recording and play it overhead. Like... "there's a fire in the building" or "shooter onsite" or whatever CANNED recording by key press.

I know this sounds far fetched, but if this Viking device that Tech stated will work, I would like to see this device before calling anyone, so I can make arrangements on using it instead.
Any work around without having to purchase more equipment would be better. I don't think that this scenario will work in the 5000. :(

Offline cpegeno

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 11:15:13 AM »
Viking PA-IP...?
I found this online. will do more research. I see that it is compatible with Avaya IPO AND Shoretel. but no Mitel. LOL
https://www.vikingelectronics.com/product_docs/DOD/505.pdf

On to the next step!

Thanks everyone.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 11:48:31 AM »
cpegeno,

I have not tried this myself, but since I was on Vikings website I figured I could look and see what I could find.

One Solution would be to use a Viking K-202-DVA and an ATA that you are comfortable with and you know works with the MiVO-250.  The K-202 would be triggered by the contact closure off the MiVO-250. It then go off-hook on the ATA, dial the codes for paging and whatever else it needs, and then play the message you pre-record in it.

**** update ****

I just thought about this, but you wouldn't need the ATA if you have an available analog port on the system.

Thanks,

TE
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:53:31 AM by Tech Electronics »

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 12:05:43 PM »
Their support PRIOR to you buying the equipment is excellent... They can recommend a device that will do what you want if they have it available.

Offline cpegeno

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 01:11:36 PM »
I do happen to have Analog ports available from the back of the system. BOTH LS ports AND SL ports.
What would change with the ATA example if the port was available? Just go off hook with trunk key, and then use dtmf key presses/tones to play/select different functions?

The description of what you put on here for calling the extension, and once connected entering a code/keypresses/dtmf would be ideal to play different messages etc.

I will have to call them and see what other solutions they have as well.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 01:38:05 PM »
cpegeno,

Well, the only difference between using a analog port [Single Line not Loop Start] and an ATA [Analog Telephone Adapter] is that you one is directly connected to the system and the other allows the device to be connected through the data network. Other than that and ATA and a Analog Port [Single Line] are the exact same as far as the connected device and the MiVO-250 are concerned.

So, if you wanted to use one of the single line ports off the back of the system then you hook that up to the KV-202 and then you would also hook up the relay off the back of the MiVO-250 to the KV-202 as a contact closure. Then you can put a key on a phone for the contact closure which would then make the KV-202 go off-hook, dial the paging code, and then play the message.

Thanks,

TE

Offline cpegeno

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 02:04:02 PM »
Sweet!
So the codes entered would be provisioned in the Viking device, as well as the recordings would be in the viking device as well.
Thanks! You both have been an awesome help!
I'm gonna call Viking to see how many other solutions work like this and via SIP/IP as well. That way I can collaborate feature/function and pricing!
Thanks again to both of you!!!

***UPDATE***...
spoke to Viking. Perfect solution is the DNA-510. 5 messages (recorded by user) and 10 tones (if desired). 1 analog input (from the pbx), and DTMF signaling to tell it what to play!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 02:14:19 PM by cpegeno »

Offline magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 11:46:06 AM »
Just a thought. Couldn't you just use a speeddial to set up a conference call with the paging zone and a announcement only voicemail box?

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 02:38:51 PM »
Just a thought. Couldn't you just use a speeddial to set up a conference call with the paging zone and a announcement only voicemail box?

How exactly would that work?

Place the first call, then activate the conference feature code, place the second call, then activate the conference feature code twice.

Offline magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 03:50:14 PM »
I had a logic fail there.

How about adding the trunk to the page zone. Connect that trunk to one of the LS ports that is set to a house phone.

CRA with a couple long pauses and set the dial translation to the options you want to play. Make the options go to mailboxes that are Play only.

I am not in my lab right now to test this but I think the logic holds. Unless I don't understand how Page Zones dial.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 08:40:35 AM »
You're never going to get a CRA to do what the OP wants to do. Dialing a CRA is done by placing an intercom call, with any digit translations happening after the greeting is played. You can't dial an intercom call and trunk call at the same time from the same phone, so there's no way to get that CRA greeting onto the trunk port used by the paging system.

Do it right - use the Viking device.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10