Author Topic: Teleworker fails on IPv6  (Read 1569 times)

Offline drichter012

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Teleworker fails on IPv6
« on: January 16, 2018, 09:50:39 AM »
We are based in Santa Barbara, California with teleworkers scattered all around the world. We have 1 user in Amsterdam who has been using the same Teleworker phone for a few years now without any issues. Last month, his ISP (German Telekom) switched him over to IPv6 and now his phone no longer connects to our MBG. On our end we do not currently use IPv6 and are not sure where we should be looking to to start troubleshooting. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Dale

Offline Navarre

• View Profile
Re: Teleworker fails on IPv6
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 09:54:35 AM »
MBG can run dual-stack with IPv4 and IPv6 but at this time you must buy an IPv6 license from Mitel for the server, and the phone must be IPv6 capable. The phone does not support autoconfiguration AFAIK, or DHCPv6, so push Mitel for this as no one wants to enter v6 addresses by hand, let alone on a numeric keypad.

Offline drichter012

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 10:44:03 AM »
Okay, on the MBG side, we are strictly IPv4 and I don't think that will change any time too soon. Is there something that needs to be done on the users end so that his phone will start working again or will this no longer be an option for him?

Thanks,

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 11:55:56 AM »
you can get an ipv4-to-ipv6 tunnel configured on msl (use someone like Hurricane Electric as the tunnel broker) to give mbg the ipv6 capability. (you still need to get the license, as far as I know it's free but I could be wrong).

on the set side, you need a 53xx series set (the newer 69xx sets don't yet support ipv6) and if you can setup dhcpv4 on the set's lan, it can give out an ipv6 address to the set...or you can manually program it in via the keypad (thankfully, only once).

Offline drichter012

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 12:14:21 PM »
The set is a 5330(not 5330e) IP connecting to MCD Release 5.0 through an MBG. Is the recommendation you are providing 2 seperate possibilities (this OR that) or all in one (this AND that)? We would like to avoid having to do anything on the server side just for 1 out of 400 users. I am hoping that we can accomplish the goal with just a change on the end users side. Is this possible?

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 03:45:58 PM »
well, if his isp doesn't give him ipv4 routing then your options are pretty limited. You'll need to configure mbg to support dual stack and for that it needs an ipv6 address.

The other option would be to set up a ipv6 vpn for that phone to use that will give it an ipv4 address. But that would be fairly involved.

I'm frankly surprised that an isp is going ipv6 only.

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 01:21:10 PM »
BTW, getting an ipv6 address from Hurricane Electric and setting up a tunnel is free.

Offline Dogbreath

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 09:52:00 AM »
I would guess that his ISP hasn't gone to IPv6 single-stack, but has moved IPv4 to CGN, which has been done in some incompetent way that breaks MBG connections.

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 10:50:46 AM »
I can't imagine CGN breaking it.. all sorts of v4 apps would break. But I also can't imagine an ISP not giving v4 access either, so something odd. Sounds more like a firewall somewhere to me.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10