Author Topic: E.164 format  (Read 2506 times)

Frontline

E.164 format
« on: December 28, 2017, 10:34:16 AM »
Looking for some input for configuring SIP trunks and enabling e.164 format. This is a request from the SIP trunk provider that I haven't run in to before. Their meta switch needs to see the calling party number with the e.164 format, (+1 followed by 10 digit CPN), for load balancing purposes. From the provider...

"When call volume is high then this customer will have call issues without e.164 presented in one of these fields: FROM, CONTACT, RPID(Remote Prty ID), PAID(P-Asserted Identity Field), DIVERSION, though we prefer the FROM field"

I should mention this system is running 5.1.0.52

If I enable the "Use ITU-T E.164 Phone Number" in the SIP trunk configuration, the system seems to be sending the "+", but not a 1 with it and the call is treated as an international call, which fails

Are there any other configuration steps needed?

Thank you in advance!

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: E.164 format
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 02:02:44 PM »
Frontline,

I think you are putting way to much thought into this one. When setting the E.164 flag on your SIP trunks it will put a + in the front of the CPN associated with the caller since that is the part of the format we can't add to the CPN; we can add the country code though. The way E.164 works is that you have a + in front of the country code [1, 01, 00, etc..] so that the switch knows the country of origin. Most SIP providers know what country they are in and add that themselves, but a few don't do this for whatever reason.

If each of your users are using a separate CPN then you will need to add the 1+10 digit phone number. For example if I had the DID range of 340-558-1000 through 340-558-1999 and each of my users had their own number they wanted to send out this is what I would have to do.

Go to System > Devices and Feature Codes > Phones > 1001 > Calling Party Number: 13405581001

That way when the call goes out it will go out as +13405581001 as you have turned on E.164 within your SIP Peer Profile. If no one is sending out anything different then you can just force sending out the main number like this.

Go to System > Devices and Feature Codes > SIP Peers > SIP Trunk Groups > 92002 > Trunk Group Configuration > Calling Party Number: 13405581000

AND

Go to System > Devices and Feature Codes > SIP Peers > SIP Trunk Groups > 92002 > Trunk Group Configuration > Force Trunk Group Party Name and Number: Yes

This way all calls going out will use +13405581000

The reason for all of this is that the system can be used in multiple countries and by default the CPN, in the US, has to be a minimum of 10 digits, but if you need to add the country code, 1 in the US, then you can add that to the CPN as well.

Thanks,

TE

Frontline

Re: E.164 format
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 10:45:38 AM »
TE

That might be the first time someone has accused me of overthinking a problem! But I think you are right, I'm making this harder than it needs to be. I should be back on site in the next couple of days and will change the CPN to 1 plus 10 digits and enable e.164 option

Thanks for helping me see the forest through the trees!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10