Author Topic: MiCollab Chat Unavailable  (Read 1892 times)

Offline io

• View Profile
MiCollab Chat Unavailable
« on: December 20, 2017, 10:38:40 AM »
This morning I received about 30+ "I/O problems detected!" emails from the alarm system, beginning at about 10PM last night. We typically see a small number of these throughout the week, and I'm not knowledgeable of what these indicate, other than some sort of communication/traffic-related issues.

In any case, none of our MiCollab users have access to chat. I check my personal status settings - everything is in order for the service to work. My hunch is that an associated service on the MiCollab server has failed and needs to be restarted. Is that something I can manage from the Web UI or would I need to remotely connect to the server? We typically just restart the server when we have issues like this - I've never connected to the server remotely. Please advise.

Thanks!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: MiCollab Chat Unavailable
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 11:51:56 AM »
"I/O Problems detected!" could mean a few things, but outside of normal working hours it typically means that the VMware administrator is doing manual or automated snapshots of the running server, and that can be very bad for Mitel servers. These should be disabled and if snapshots are required the server should be shutdown and then imaged.

A proper reboot of the server should clear the issue, if not, contact support immediately, we have seen this corrupt configuration files that require manual editing and only support should be doing that.

Before rebooting, take a look at Administration - System Information and pay attention to Physical Memory and Disk Swap usage, if Physical Memory is over 75-80% or Disk Swap is over 5%, consider if you have enough resources allocated to this VM.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:56:43 AM by acejavelin »

Offline io

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 12:11:19 PM »
Good call - we went to restart the VM and my network team reported "Snapshot issues". I'm trying to get more info from them on this.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 12:13:43 PM »
Good call - we went to restart the VM and my network team reported "Snapshot issues". I'm trying to get more info from them on this.
Never take a snapshots of a running MSL server... it will give you nothing but headaches.

Offline io

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 12:35:29 PM »
Looks like the snapshot creation process is completely automated. What frequency do you recommend we have snapshots of the server created? Is it necessary to backup the VM on a regular basis (right now it's daily)?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 01:53:37 PM »
Looks like the snapshot creation process is completely automated. What frequency do you recommend we have snapshots of the server created? Is it necessary to backup the VM on a regular basis (right now it's daily)?
http://edocs.mitel.com/UG/Apps-Solutions/MiCollab%208.0/MiCollab/BP-Virtualization.pdf

Start on document page 83 or so...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10