Author Topic: IP Network Dropped X percent of Packets  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Glomulus

• View Profile
IP Network Dropped X percent of Packets
« on: December 20, 2017, 09:48:59 AM »
Hello,

We have three 3300 controllers that are connected to each other via a cisco switch.  We have no IP phones, just analog and digital. 

Last week, we were testing emergency power.  When the power was cut, the cisco switch went down (severing the connection between the 3 controllers) but the controllers switched to UPS.  When power was restored, the switch came back and the connections were restored.  Unfortunately, controller 2 did not work correctly and most calls were failing.  After viewing the log, I saw that I was getting a lot of packet loss entries like the one below.

Example:  E2tSp - IP Network Dropped 3.94 percent of Packets from phone xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Total Rx: 268 Lost=11......

Because lines were basically down on that controller, I rebooted the controller and the packet loss stopped and everything returned to normal. 

Now, fast forward to yesterday where we performed another emergency power test.  Again the switch went down and the 3 controllers went to UPS.  Power was restored and everything went back to normal.  I checked controller 2 and it also seems to be normal.  However, this time, controller 3 is spewing out these same packet loss messages. 

I have checked with users who have phones on controller 3 and no one is noticing any issues.  I don't want to reboot the controller and bring the phones down (which worked for controller 2) if they are working but the stream of IP Packet loss alerts in the log is constant. 

Can anyone think of another way to possibly alleviate this without rebooting the controller?

Thanks a lot for your time!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: IP Network Dropped X percent of Packets
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 10:26:28 AM »
Put that switch on UPS power as well maybe?

Offline Glomulus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 11:51:13 AM »
Absolutely.  I plan to get the switch on UPS in the future.  Unfortunately, my controller is giving off these IP packet errors constantly, even though power is currently fully restored.

Thanks again everyone.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 12:00:09 PM »
In the meantime, try just disconnecting the network cable from the chassis... wait 5 minutes and then reconnect it maybe? I don't know of anyway to restart the network interface itself.

For this case, I think "in the future" should be sooner rather than later.

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 06:33:11 PM »
Check the Switch switchport config and the controller LAN port config - they should be set to auto/auto.
Many people nail switchports to 100/Full or something, which is not a good idea because it breaks 802.3ab which made auto-negotiation mandatory in 1999 and was adopted by all vendors of NICs.

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 11:42:49 AM »
What variant controllers are these? I've seen issues with the original MXe and MXe-II's having a flaky MIPS chip that can lead to IP connectivity issues.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10