Author Topic: Question regarding moving virtual MiVB machine to new virtual host  (Read 1659 times)

Offline bboopeep

• Contributer
    • View Profile
We have a virtual MiVB install on our eSXI host server and it's working well. However, one of our clients is running a different phone system and due to storms in the area over the weekend, one of their virtual host servers decided to die (royally, I'm told).
We moved the servers from this host to a new host server and the only one that didn't work was their phone system (unsure of the make). Apparently, the license on that system is tied to the hardware ID of the machine, which isn't the VM id but a combination of hardware IDs, MAC addresses, etc.

This made me think that something similar might happen with the Mitel systems. I know in the physical Mitels (3300s at least) there was an application button that looked like a CMOS battery that you could move between appliances and it would work, but if I have a set of virtual host servers and I move our Mitel VM from one to another, is that going to mess up our license?
If it does, will that require clearing the hardware Id in the AMC?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:46:58 PM by bboopeep »

Offline billbry66

• View Profile
Re: Question regarding moving virtual MiVB machine to new virtual host
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 06:36:53 AM »
Nope

the license is also tied to a combination of parameters

as long as you restore from a backup and it can talk to the amc afterwards you can move it wherever you want.

We have done this from one Cloud hosting company to another . just deploy new ova and restore the backup ( also had to change the ip addressing). it the amc sync thats the most important factor

Offline bboopeep

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 04:20:43 PM »
I was more thinking along the lines of the High Availability feature that allow virtual machines to be moved to attached hosts if something goes wrong.

I.e.: Mitel MiVB lives on HOST A, which is managed by a VCENTER server. This VCENTER also managed HOST B and HOST C.
HOST A has a hardware failure, so the VCENTER moves all VMs on that host to HOST B or C.

If not, then the backup/restore feature within the Mitel MCD will suffice, albeit with more of a manual process.

Thanks

Offline Dogbreath

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 05:58:12 AM »
There is a document called "Virtual appliance deployment solutions guide" which discusses resiliency and HA from p31 onwards. In particular there is this note:

Note: Support for VMware features such as vMotion, Storage vMotion, HA, SRM,
cloning, templates, and so on, do not require re-licensing of the application, because
Mitel virtual application licensing Application Record IDs (ARIDs) are based on globally
unique IDs (GUIDs) used by the ARID, and are not dependent on the specific hardware
the application is running on.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10