Author Topic: Fax Hotline For Outside Line Access  (Read 1026 times)

Offline MAtkins

• View Profile
Fax Hotline For Outside Line Access
« on: December 13, 2017, 04:45:18 AM »
Hi All

Does anyone know of a way to hotline a analogue ext for external access, I'm moving around 9 fax machines across to a 3300 controller all currently Hotlined for 0 on the existing system. I've not managed to work a way out to do this, I've played around with associated directory numbers, system speed calls and ARS but not managed to achieve an outcome.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.......I don't understand why this is so difficult all other systems do this so easily...just add the 0!!!

Offline sunspark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fax Hotline For Outside Line Access
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 07:42:46 AM »
Hi.

What did u mean by hotlined for 0.

Can u explain what is the issue? 

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 08:12:32 AM »
(Sunspark, 0 is used in Australia for ARS access.)
It's never that easy.
Some of this depends on what kind of trunks you have.  I will assume you have either PRI or SIP.
The problem is that you want to dial 0 and go to a secondary dial tone.
For hotline programming the system wants a complete dial string.  Since when you dial 0, the system is still expecting more digits.  Therefore the system will not let you set that up.

The only way that I've been able to think of how to do this is with an analog loopback trunk.
I've never tried this so it still needs to be tested.
Program an ONS port. 
Program an analog trunk.
Connect the ONS port to the CO port.
Hotline the Fax port to a special ARS route that hits that trunk.
Use ARS Call Progress Tone detection in your digit mod stream, wait for dial tone then insert a 0.

Good luck.
Ralph

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 10:28:15 AM »
TBH, it is generally easier to put a big note on the fax machine to tell users to dial 0 (or 8 or 9 or whatever your outside access code is) and just dial the call like it was on their desk phone... And then have them reprogram their speed dials in the fax machine to dial the appropriate digits.

The reason I say this is that although Ralph's implementation works in many cases, depending on line quality and type, some fax machines don't like the "extra" IP-Analog conversion that occurs looping back an analog trunk to a station to make this work. At least that has been my experience.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:18:46 PM by acejavelin »

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 11:05:09 AM »

The reason I say this is that although Ralph's implementation works in many cases, depending on line quality and type, some fax machines don't like the "extra" IP-Analog conversion that occurs looping back an analog trunk to a station to make this work. At least that has been my experience.

Actually, if the fax is running off an ONS port, there's no IP to TDM conversion.  But I agree with you entirely.  That's a lot of work to not have to reprogram for a 0.  Not to mention that you've introduced another potential point of failure.  That's part of the reason I've never tested this myself.  I just say 'no' in these cases.  (But I do like the challenge of hacking things to see if I can do the impossible.)

Ralph

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 11:40:58 AM »
On the system speed calls will not 0 p <number> with digits dialled set to immediate rather than dial after x. Or maybe its changing the dial digits to 'after all digits are received'. Just a vague memory this worked for speed dials on a analogue set

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 06:56:06 PM »
TBH, it is generally easier to put a big note on the fax machine to tell users to dial 0 (or 8 or 9 or whatever your outside access code is) and just dial the call like it was on their desk phone... And then have them reprogram their speed dials in the fax machine to dial the appropriate digits.

This is exactly how to do it.

On another note, the 3300 only has 4 analog ports unless you buy an ASU for additional analog ports.

Offline MAtkins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 10:12:13 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback, it seems that using associated directory number to a speecall to 0 works on a IP handset but not an analogue exts. I like the option of just telling them they now have to dial a 0 when sending faxs!!!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10