Author Topic: Mitel 5235  (Read 1531 times)

Offline KyleTheTech

• View Profile
Mitel 5235
« on: December 05, 2017, 04:25:30 PM »
Hello everyone, first off sorry if this is in the wrong section, new to this forum.
So I have aquired a Mitel 3235 IP Phone from my uncle, he works in a home office.
Didn't have anything other than the phone, so ive made a power over ethernet cable and connected it to the lower ethernet port looking face on from rear with ethernet ports on right.
Connected to my router.
Phone has powered up and hangs at DHCP Discovery and then finally ticks over to DHCP Timeout before restarting that process again.
Now am I right in thinking I can just setup a PC running Asterisk PBX and all that for it to work or do I need some voip adapters etc?
New to IP phones, would be nice to make use out of this phone.
For my idea for Asterisk PBX I got from a website telling how to setup some VOIP phones so? would that method work with this Mitel 3235?

--------------------------
Info I know:
DHCP Discovery and hangs for five mins before timing out
Boot ver: 02.05.00.05
On a 1.9.168.0.XXX I.P address, Or at least should be, thats what both my PC and Server PC are connected to router wise.
---------------------------
Im thinking it is supposed to be 24v? googled for some adapters some say 40v, others say 24v but cant find an exact mach to this model, not that i'd buy one anyway, After all I got my electrical skills to make one - Like I did.
So I got a standard 24v DC PSU, cut into blue/blue-white and brown/brown-white and powers up, had a moment for about 4 hours where it would cut out then restart and die again, then repeat but its stopped doing that again.

Any advice at all appreciated!

kyle
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:04:01 PM by acejavelin »

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Mitel 3235
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 04:54:20 PM »
Do you mean Mitel 5235 phone? Those are MiNet devices, not SIP, they are proprietary and only work with Mitel phone systems.

Can you verify the model and/or part number of the phone?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline KyleTheTech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 05:42:20 PM »
Do you mean Mitel 5235 phone? Those are MiNet devices, not SIP, they are proprietary and only work with Mitel phone systems.

I dunno about the Phone or SIP part, Just says on the screen MITEL 5235 IP Phone

Label on back is layed out and looks like this:

MITEL 3235 IP PHONE 500004310
This device complies.......
................................................. ..
...And so on...
                        -------------
56006460 REV /B.12 (10)/
                        -------------

Upon searching google for 56006460 is does pop up with my phone.

Thankyou!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 05:52:00 PM »

I dunno about the Phone or SIP part, Just says on the screen MITEL 5235 IP Phone

...And so on...
                        -------------
56006460 REV /B.12 (10)/
                        -------------

Thankyou!
Yup... Mitel proprietary set by default using MiNet protocol. You can flash it to SIP but that firmware was discontinued almost 10 years ago and is unsupported.

No offense, I love Mitel stuff but you would be better off finding a used Polycom 450 or Aastra 6755 (55i) on eBay for like $25, they are well supported on most SIP platforms... You will hate using a Mitel in SIP mode.

Offline KyleTheTech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 05:59:33 PM »

...And so on...
                        -------------
56006460 REV /B.12 (10)/
                        -------------

Thankyou!
Yup... Mitel proprietary set by default using MiNet protocol. You can flash it to SIP but that firmware was discontinued almost 10 years ago and is unsupported.

No offense, I love Mitel stuff but you would be better off finding a used Polycom 450 or Aastra 6755 (55i) on eBay for like $25, they are well supported on most SIP platforms... You will hate using a Mitel in SIP mode.

Ok thanks for the info.
So before I scrap my idea then what kind of thing should I try and what would this allow me to do?
Im completely new to phones etc. lol

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel 5235
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 06:08:09 PM »
Then re-purposing a proprietary phone to SIP in an unsupported environment is not the best way to start... Get something that if you Google "asterisk polycom 450" it might get a pretty good guide or at least some knowledge about how to get it working, as an example, and those phones I mentioned can be purchased dirt cheap or any of the more mainstream models that are 5 or so years old. Another option might be to grab a new Yealink T21p or something similar, they are cheap, under $50 new (https://www.amazon.com/Yealink-SIP-T21P-E2-Entry-Backlight/dp/B00WRJ5I6I), and are well supported. The name might sound funny, but their devices are a serious bargain.

To be honest, all of those 5235 devices we had out in the field have been replaced and our stock was junked... they have zero value, but if you want to try you are largely going to be on your own with the exception of the few people here who have tried. Here is a resource to get you started: https://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Mitel+SIP+Firmware
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:11:48 PM by acejavelin »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10