Author Topic: Find Extension by MAC Address or IP  (Read 11073 times)

Offline Brandon763

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Find Extension by MAC Address or IP
« on: October 02, 2017, 03:52:45 PM »
On the MiVoice Office 250, is there a way to search for an extension with its IP or MAC address?  I am aware that I can find the IP or MAC if I know the extension by viewing a phones details in the System Administration and Diagnostics application but I have hundreds of phones and checking each extension one at a time would be a very time consuming task.

It might also be important to know that I am not using the 250 for its DHCP services. DHCP is provided by a Cisco L3 switch.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Offline Brandon763

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Re: Find Extension by MAC Address or IP
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 04:22:29 PM »
I wanted to add an update incase anyone happened to be searching for the same information.

I found that in the DB Programming application, under the "Operations" menu, there is a "IP Device Status" that will list the IP and MAC for each extension on that node. Unfortunately I have not found a way to search, sort, or export the results ( to say.. excel? ) but its better than nothing.

Would still like to know if there is a better way.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 04:48:51 PM »
Brandon763,

You do know that you can export the information from the System Administration and Diagnostics application and sort it however you like. You could also just highlight all of the phones inside database programming and export those as a .csv file that will provide you with the MAC address and then you can put both together to get all of the information you require.

Thanks,

TE

Offline Brandon763

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 07:27:38 PM »
TE,

That is exactly what I was looking for, Thanks!

I was able to go to "System > Devices and Feature Codes > Phones > Local" then highlight all phones and right click " Export Phones to File". I repeated this for all my nodes then combined the .csv files and am now able to search all extensions by MAC address.

As far as exporting any information from the System Administration and Diagnostics application, I'm sure its something simple I am over looking, but I am unable to complete this task...  Would you be able to provide a hint or two on how to accomplish this?

Offline Brandon763

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 07:37:24 PM »
TE,

I took a second look at what you were saying. I was able to "Copy All Phone Data" from the "Resource & Device Info" Phones section but it did not include the MAC or IP, something that "View Phone Details" from the same menu will provide. I'm hoping you know a way to get the IP and/or MAC to show up as an available data column. Currently I only have Extension, Type, Model, Username, Status, and Version available.

The other suggestion you provided works best for me, as I only need the MAC. If I want to search by IP I have to take the MAC and translate it first.

I'm relatively new to the Mitel platform and anything I can pick up will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 07:48:21 AM »
Brandon763,

The only way to get the IP Address is through Operations > Show IP Device Status or the DHCP service if it is used for the phones. I was just trying to explain that the information from the SA&D could be downloaded and combined together to provide a more comprehensive look at your phones: Type, Version, MAC, etc..

I think there may be a log file that would have the IP Addresses of the phones, but I would need access to a MiVO-250 to search for it, and as of late I have only been working on 3300 to build my skills up on that system.

There is also the command that is sent to the system for the Show IP Device Status that could be captured with Wireshark. There is also the System Commands module under SA&D that will provide you some commands that may get you that information as well; look at Networking as well as Phone and Device Information.

Other than that I don't know what you could do to get just the Extension, MAC, and IP Address. I haven't used a 3rd-party DHCP server on any of our systems since the MiVO-250 got the embedded DHCP.

Sorry,

TE

Offline Jack

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 03:07:01 PM »
Tech Electronics, thank you for the advice about highlighting all the Phones from System > Devices and Feature Codes > Phones > Local, right clicking, and selecting Export Phones to File... to export the list to a .csv file in order to get a list of the phones with their MAC addresses. 

At first glance it doesn't appear that it would include the MAC since it isn't listed in the columns of that view, but it does indeed include the MAC and whether or not Hot Desk is enabled in addition to the columns shown in the right-hand window.

This is very useful when you need to look up a phone by MAC address.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10