Author Topic: Remote analog device  (Read 1416 times)

vakanderson

Remote analog device
« on: August 21, 2017, 09:40:10 AM »
Hello we have a need for an analog device in a remote location that is reachable by ethernet but not copper.  We already have ASUs deployed for other areas and would use copper if it extended to this particular location, but the building only has fibre coming in.  Our reseller is suggesting that the solution is to use two TA7100 units, one hanging off the ASU in the data center, the other at the remote device.  That doesn't sound right to me, as in the past with other solutions I have used a single ATA device at the remote end that was analog to the device and VoIP over ethernet to the controller.  Can anyone provide some guidance here, as I want to 1) validate that double conversion is the correct (only?) Mitel supported solution 2) eliminate the purchase of an additional device if one can/should meet the need?

Thanks in advance!
Vince

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Remote analog device
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 10:26:21 AM »
I can't imagine why 2 devices would be needed, a simple SIP ATA would suffice for most applications... An IP User license would be required if you don't have any available though. 

vakanderson

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 03:23:01 PM »
thanks, I will push back again and see if they remain adamant about the need for two devices.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 08:44:59 PM »
thanks, I will push back again and see if they remain adamant about the need for two devices.
Yes, absolutely... I cannot think of a single reason for two devices. The ATA registers as a SIP device and your analog device connects to that, pretty simple stuff.

If they are insistent, I would ask for a detailed explanation... Because there could be an explanation I am not considering, maybe... :/

Offline august

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 08:15:23 AM »
It's a sip device, so only one is require.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 08:14:31 PM »
They may not have extra user licenses and extending existing analog could be cheaper.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 12:22:17 AM »
They may not have extra user licenses and extending existing analog could be cheaper.
No offense, but there is no way an IP User licence cost more than an analog gateway, at least not the one mentioned. Even if it somehow was, it makes no sense logistically to do it that way.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 07:49:00 AM »
What about using a LIM in a 53XX phone?
I don't think analog licenses are needed for that either.

Ralph

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 01:59:12 PM »
Ralph,

I don't think that the LIM works as an analog device the way you are thinking it does. My understanding of a LIM is that is it used to bring a POTS line directly into the phone so when it loses connection or if you dial Emergency Services it would use that line instead of trying to go through the phone system.

vakanderson,

My guess is the same as JohnP's answer. They are using the two ATAs as an ASU Analog to SIP converter, similar to a channel bank, and they are not charging you for the SIP Licenses. I am not sure about the cost of one solution verses the other as that would depend on their markup.

Thanks,

TE

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 03:04:04 PM »
What is the nature of the analog device? Is it simply an analog phone, or something like a fire panel or elevator line? I have never come across putting a SIP adapter off of an ASU because if you have an ASU, there's already a controller nearby so both your Analog and SIP needs are right there.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 08:16:15 PM »
I have extended analog using a Grandstream 503 to a Grandstrem 502 to support a fax at a remote site. This extended an existing analog port and did T.38 between the devices. I was much cheaper that adding an enterprise license, DSP II card, ant T.38 license. Host site had a PRI

Sometimes knowing all that the customer has and needs, makes such an idea for 2 ata's worth while. From the OP's description this is what might be happening. JMHO

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 08:27:09 PM »
I have extended analog using a Grandstream 503 to a Grandstrem 502 to support a fax at a remote site. This extended an existing analog port and did T.38 between the devices. I was much cheaper that adding an enterprise license, DSP II card, ant T.38 license. Host site had a PRI

Sometimes knowing all that the customer has and needs, makes such an idea for 2 ata's worth while. From the OP's description this is what might be happening. JMHO
I don't think you don't need a DSPII to do T.38 within the same controller... only between networked/clustered controllers. You can use a ATA with T.38 directly to a local controller, just place it in a different Zone and enable T.38 with G.711 fallback.

Am I wrong? All of our Audiocodes ATA's work for faxing when connected directly to a single controller... where we run into issues and had to get DSPII's is when a PRI comes into a site, then it goes across the Xnet trunks to another controller and out to an ATA or analog fax.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 07:58:34 AM »
Ralph,

I don't think that the LIM works as an analog device the way you are thinking it does. My understanding of a LIM is that is it used to bring a POTS line directly into the phone so when it loses connection or if you dial Emergency Services it would use that line instead of trying to go through the phone system.

Thanks,

TE

You're right.  Sorry. I'm not sure what I was thinking.
Ralph

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 09:36:30 PM »
I agree that T.38 doesn't necessarily require a DSP II. FWIW, prior to T.38 support by Mitel you could reliably fax between controllers.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10