Author Topic: Mitel 3300 Voicemail to email  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Saltrock23

• View Profile
Mitel 3300 Voicemail to email
« on: June 29, 2017, 07:22:10 AM »
Hi

A customer of ours uses voicemail to email feature on the embedded system on there Mi-voice Business.  They have commented that on the weekend of the system patching where there is server downtime of roughly 2 hours that the they have missed voicemail.  Anybody know if the mitel just drops these voicemail if it cant reach the smtp server first time or if there is a timeout period.  As this could be quote costly for this customer if they are getting lost.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Mitel 3300 Voicemail to email
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 12:09:31 PM »
The embedded voicemail only does copy and forward, so even if the messages are not sent for whatever reason, the messages should still be in the voice mailboxes.

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 04:26:00 AM »
.....unless you have et it to delete the messages once sent.....

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 10:58:11 AM »
.....unless you have et it to delete the messages once sent.....
Honestly, I forgot you could even do that with embedded voicemail on the 3300, I use it so rarely anymore... I had to go a system and look it up to be sure. :)

But back to @Saltrock23 question, it is (clearly?) stated in the Help that messages can and will get lost if they don't go through...

If "Delete After Forwarding" is enabled and this Email address is invalid, the voice message will be lost.

Delivery to the Email address cannot be guaranteed. Enabling this option can result in message loss.

My extrapolation from these two statements leads me to believe that (like the 5000 with similar options set), once a voicemail is received it is converted to an email and immediately deleted from the mailbox regardless of whether the message is sent or not, it then tries for a while to send and eventually gives up and just clears (deletes) that message as undeliverable, thus the message is permanently lost.

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 02:02:50 PM »
I read it slightly differently. Message recieved and converted. If not set to delete then it stays in the VM. Otherwise it is converted and sent (there is no way the error message can get back to the 3300 so no-one ever knows that it wasn't sent) and then the message deleted from the VM. Hence the message lost. Because it gets as far as sending to the SMTP that it as far as the 3300 is concerned. I don't think that it tries more than once to send but can't remember wh. IIRC if the smtp server is input wrong there is no error message from the 3300.

Perhaps the OP can use a public smtp for the voice mails emails then not relying on local ones.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 07:15:11 PM »
I read it slightly differently. Message recieved and converted. If not set to delete then it stays in the VM. Otherwise it is converted and sent (there is no way the error message can get back to the 3300 so no-one ever knows that it wasn't sent) and then the message deleted from the VM. Hence the message lost. Because it gets as far as sending to the SMTP that it as far as the 3300 is concerned. I don't think that it tries more than once to send but can't remember wh. IIRC if the smtp server is input wrong there is no error message from the 3300.

Perhaps the OP can use a public smtp for the voice mails emails then not relying on local ones.
Essentially we are saying the same thing... once it is handed of to the SMTP service, the message is deleted from the set's voicemail box.

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 04:11:32 AM »
Essentially we are saying the same thing... once it is handed of to the SMTP service, the message is deleted from the set's voicemail box.

Only if its set to be deleted. If it is not then the message will stay in the VM box. If the voicemails are that important then it should be set NOT to delete after sending. And the customer needs a check in place after any downtown a manual check is made for voice mails or as I suggested a different SMTP service is used (even if it has to be paid for) so any downtime on the customers SMTP server makes no difference.

Offline Saltrock23

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 05:38:45 AM »
Thanks that is what i thought

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10