Author Topic: NuPoint Backup format  (Read 1643 times)

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
NuPoint Backup format
« on: June 01, 2017, 12:04:49 PM »
I have a standalone, virtualized NuPoint that runs a nightly backup to a remote server. Sometimes it says dbsave_nupoint_17.2.03_[date].tar but sometimes it says mslserver_nupoint_[date].tgz

I believe the mslserver backup is what I have configured in Server Administration > Administration > Backup but I can't find where the "dbsave" backup is configured.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NuPoint Backup format
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 06:14:09 PM »
Putty into it it and use the console to see the backup stuff

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 03:23:51 PM »
I putty-d in and went to NPM Manager > S (System Maintenance) > L (NPM Backup) and had both Lan Backup using FTP and Lan Backup using MS Networking configured.

The MS Networking mirrors what is configured in the Web setup. The other .tar must be the FTP.

Is either one more desirable to have than the other? The .tgz simply contains another .tar of similar, but not exact size as the FTP Backup.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 07:02:36 PM »
I putty-d in and went to NPM Manager > S (System Maintenance) > L (NPM Backup) and had both Lan Backup using FTP and Lan Backup using MS Networking configured.

The MS Networking mirrors what is configured in the Web setup. The other .tar must be the FTP.

Is either one more desirable to have than the other? The .tgz simply contains another .tar of similar, but not exact size as the FTP Backup.
These are Linux archive formats... TAR is an uncompressed archive (or archived with 'compress' using the -Z option), a single file containing a collection of files and directories. A TGZ file is a TAR file compressed with gzip which is a open source compression-only tool (it doesn't archive multiple files itself) with greater compression than ZIP often used in Linux environment.

Compress is highly inefficient and only does marginal compression but is very effective with text files, and has very low processing requirements, it was introduced and used typically in the 1980's. Gzip is much more efficient and does very good compression with all types of files but is more resource intensive, it was developed and used mainly in the 1990's. In practical use, although gzip is still fairly common, bzip (2000's) and xz (2010's) are much more effective at compression, resource use, error checking, and error correction, but don't see these last 2 used much in Mitel's Linux servers.

So in theory, depending on content, a TGZ will contain the exact same information but be a much smaller file. A TGZ file will also have CRC integrity checking where a TAR file does not have any integrity checking. There is no reason to use TAR over TGZ except for speed.

The difference between a TAR format archive and TGZ's internal TAR file in this case is that the TAR archive file by itself is using the 'compress' option and when it is used with gzip to make a TGZ archive, compress is not used prior to processing through gzip. The information is still the same.

Hope that makes sense...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 07:18:17 PM by acejavelin »

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 07:31:12 PM »
These are Linux archive formats... TAR is an uncompressed archive (or archived with 'compress' using the -Z option), a single file containing a collection of files and directories. A TGZ file is a TAR file compressed with gzip which is a open source compression-only tool (it doesn't archive multiple files itself) with greater compression than ZIP often used in Linux environment.

Compress is highly inefficient and only does marginal compression but is very effective with text files, and has very low processing requirements, it was introduced and used typically in the 1980's. Gzip is much more efficient and does very good compression with all types of files but is more resource intensive, it was developed and used mainly in the 1990's. In practical use, although gzip is still fairly common, bzip (2000's) and xz (2010's) are much more effective at compression, resource use, error checking, and error correction, but don't see these last 2 used much in Mitel's Linux servers.

So in theory, depending on content, a TGZ will contain the exact same information but be a much smaller file. A TGZ file will also have CRC integrity checking where a TAR file does not have any integrity checking. There is no reason to use TAR over TGZ except for speed.

The difference between a TAR format archive and TGZ's internal TAR file in this case is that the TAR archive file by itself is using the 'compress' option and when it is used with gzip to make a TGZ archive, compress is not used prior to processing through gzip. The information is still the same.

Hope that makes sense...

Sure hope this doesn't turn into some Lempel-Ziv vs Huffman compression debate :-)

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 08:23:52 AM »

Sure hope this doesn't turn into some Lempel-Ziv vs Huffman compression debate :-)

As long you pronounce gif correctly I don't think that will be an issue.

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 08:24:33 AM »

Hope that makes sense...

Very helpful, thank you.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 07:11:15 PM »
The key thing is does the msl backup include the vm. I know the MAS nupoint is backed up with the msl. You could expand both with your choice of software, I use 7 zip for this

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10