Author Topic: Mitel 6920 initial thoughts and observations  (Read 1886 times)

Offline HighburyN5

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Mitel 6920 initial thoughts and observations
« on: May 11, 2017, 09:24:21 AM »
Firstly, I am new to the Mitel platform so some of my observations might have also been present in the older series of handsets or might be down to programming or just the way Mitel and MiNet work.

The general look and feel of the phone is good, button layouts are very logical with easy to understand symbols.
The phone has 18 programmable personal keys, 6 on each screen. The LED's by these buttons don't work but I presume a future firmware release will fix this.

The screen is small and the colour scheme might cause issues with visually impaired users (light grey and light blue to indicate an enabled/disable state isn't a great choice). We'd like the phone to display the name of the logged in user on the top bar of the phone instead of the DN which is already displayed by the primary line key. We can label the primary line key as the users name but this is extra programming.  Setting a custom logo and screen saver is straightforward.
I've been unable to find an option to turn the display backlight off after a period of inactivity or at a certain time of day.

There are four content sensitive soft keys which in my opinion could be better utilised. For instance, having one of these keys appear as a call pickup key when another phone in the same pickup group is ringing.

The directory key defaults to the personal directory when most of our users would want to search the corporate directory. There should be a method of setting the default.

Visual voicemail has been enabled and works ok. Messages are played through the loudspeaker. You can pickup the receiver to listen to the message. However has you navigate to other messages, the phone will play a dial tone and then an unobtainable tone so not very user friendly and confusing for end users. Nonetheless prior to visual voicemail, the usage of the voicemail key was confusing as pressing the key would display 'call me back' which didn't really make sense to our users.
Unfortunately setting the voicemail key to utilise visual voicemail is a local setting the user must make as there doesn't appear to be a way to programme this centrally.

The options key (which opens a page called Static Settings), defaults to the status option. It would be nice to be able to restrict users to only certain options such as call forward or perhaps status and leave other options behind an advanced section.
Status is helpful but could be further improved by utilising LLDP to show the connected switch and switch port.

The ringtones on the phone to be honest are not great especially the default 'velocity' tone. Again, it is down to users to go and change this as there doesn't appear to be a way of either setting this centrally or prohibiting a user from changing these options. There doesn't appear to be an option to upload custom ringtones.

USB headset works well and the remote also works to control volume, mute, and answer/hangup.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 09:28:42 AM by HighburyN5 »

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel 6920 initial thoughts and observations
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 09:43:58 AM »
Good observations.
Thank you for your input.

Ralph

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10