Author Topic: Can't call DID that has been ported out of the system  (Read 1055 times)

Offline player1

• View Profile
Can't call DID that has been ported out of the system
« on: May 05, 2017, 01:25:26 PM »
Hello and thank you in advance for your assistance.

I am a new IT employee at the company and no one here knows how to administer our old Inter-Tel 5000 system.  I have figured out how to get into the DB programming console and I have stumbled my way through most of it, learning as I go.  I have found the call routing tables with all of the DID patterns.

We had a DID that they decided to port out of the system.  I have removed that DID from the call routing tables.  When I call that number from an external phone such as my cell phone, it rings the new destination like it is supposed to.  When I call it from a phone in the Inter-Tel system, it rings the default extension (the operator) in our system.  I am speculating that the system still believes the DID should be routed somewhere back into the system and it will not send it out to the PSTN.  That speculation could be way off base.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can enable employees to call this number using our Inter-Tel system?

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can't call DID that has been ported out of the system
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 03:45:11 PM »
You're accessing an outside line on the phone system, dialing the DID number, and it rings the attendant?

If so, the issue is with the carrier not completing the port order. Their network thinks that the number is still in place, but it has been ported off. Contact your carrier, this is not an issue with the phone system.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 03:54:28 PM by DND ON »

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 04:13:09 PM »
I think DND ON is right, here's an easy check: put the DID back into your system (shouldn't make a difference for most calls, since carrier is not sending those calls to you).  Point the DID to a specific extension.  Call the number, see where it goes.  If it goes to the ext you set, you know the call is leaving you but YOUR carrier is still sending the calls to you, not the outside destination.  Calls are routed based on a translation table at the carriers and I've often seen it take days for changes to roll out to all carriers.  Surprisingly the most problems with this are within a carrier, have seen lots of folks who could call numbers from other carriers fine but couldn't call numbers within the same carrier.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 09:53:31 AM »
Not really necessary to reprogram anything, you already know that calls are coming into the phone system and being routed to the attendant.

The last time I had this happen, it took two months to resolve while the carriers argued about who was at fault. I had ported 200 DIDs off my Frontier PRIs onto my AT&T SIP trunks. Any calls placed through the local CO rang in on the PRIs; all other calls​ came in via SIP. Whenever we assigned a new number, we had to add it to both Call Routing Tables.

Offline player1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 01:56:31 PM »
DND ON, you were right.  Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.  It took a little work to make it through the carrier escalation process and to someone who knew where the problem lied.  It turns out it wasn't even her area but she knew I would get the run around if she didn't just handle it.

They hadn't reprogrammed one of their switches which still had the number listed as not ported out.  Within 5 minutes of speaking to her, the problem was fixed.

I really appreciate everyone's help and insight.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 03:30:45 PM »
Pretty cool that they resolved it so quickly.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10