Author Topic: Mitel 53xx phones and DHCP/TFTP issues  (Read 6257 times)

Offline gilesogram

• View Profile
Mitel 53xx phones and DHCP/TFTP issues
« on: April 28, 2017, 03:44:00 AM »
Hi,
I am installing a small system for a local charity office, using FreePBX with 4 53xx phones (1 x 5312, 2 x 5320 & 1 x 5330).
I have been able to upgrade them from ver 5 to ver 6 via a MBG link (found within this forum).
With the basic Web UI, I can configure the phones with their username/passwords and they attach to the PBX ok and I can get basic comms working.
However, I would like to configure the buttons/VM lights/BLF etc and understand that they use a cfg file to do this (accessed via TFTP) or via the more advanced Web UI?
I have been able to configure the DHCP server with Option 125, but when the phones boot, they display "using Option 125" and then get stuck at "DHCP : Discovery".
Monitoring the TFTP server I cannot see any requests or downloads of cfg files.
I am using a single VLAN'ed switch and have got DHCP Option 125 using VLAN1.
Is this correct and is it looking for a DHCP server on a different VLAN when it uses Option 125?

I will try and connect the phones directly to a basic switch to my laptop (running TFTP) to see if that works.

Also, I would like to upgrade the phones to v8 also via TFTP. Can I upgrade directly from v6.03 to v8 or do I need to do the v7.2  upgrade first?

TIA
Giles

Offline august

• View Profile
Re: Mitel 53xx phones and DHCP/TFTP issues
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 09:48:01 PM »
You can upgrade to rls 8 directly.  Make sure your switch is set to tagged and not untagged.

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 06:00:00 AM »
You'll probably find you have the latest FW.
Phone firmware is only version 6.x.x.x at the moment. 7.2 and 8.0 is the MCD versions not phone firmware version.

Have a look at the below links regarding SIP config files.
https://community.freepbx.org/t/mitel-5330-finally-working-correctly-with-blf-heres-how/29540
http://edocs.mitel.com/UG/EN/DK115611_16.xls

I don't work with the phones in SIP mode so can't really assist further.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 09:58:25 AM »
Hi,
I am installing a small system for a local charity office, using FreePBX with 4 53xx phones (1 x 5312, 2 x 5320 & 1 x 5330).
I have been able to upgrade them from ver 5 to ver 6 via a MBG link (found within this forum).
With the basic Web UI, I can configure the phones with their username/passwords and they attach to the PBX ok and I can get basic comms working.
However, I would like to configure the buttons/VM lights/BLF etc and understand that they use a cfg file to do this (accessed via TFTP) or via the more advanced Web UI?
I have been able to configure the DHCP server with Option 125, but when the phones boot, they display "using Option 125" and then get stuck at "DHCP : Discovery".
Monitoring the TFTP server I cannot see any requests or downloads of cfg files.
I am using a single VLAN'ed switch and have got DHCP Option 125 using VLAN1.
Is this correct and is it looking for a DHCP server on a different VLAN when it uses Option 125?

I will try and connect the phones directly to a basic switch to my laptop (running TFTP) to see if that works.

Also, I would like to upgrade the phones to v8 also via TFTP. Can I upgrade directly from v6.03 to v8 or do I need to do the v7.2  upgrade first?

TIA
Giles
The SIP versions you are referencing are not valid any more, that information is like 8-10 years old... the newest SIP version is acquired by flashing the latest MiNET firmware (which you did if you are connecting to a MBG). The SIP firmware honestly hasn't changed in a LONG time, and it likely won't as SIP is not a supported protocol for these devices any more.

About the only think I ever got to work in SIP mode was speed dial buttons and the main line... anything beyond that, even BLF via SIP SUBSCRIBE, never seemed to work properly.

We gave up trying to reuse old Mitel devices in SIP mode years ago, they just didn't function well except as glorified single line phones, and and swapped them to Polycom, Aastra, or Grandstream devices. TBH, with the price of refurbished Polycom 450's at about $30-$40 each and 650's at around $55-$75, there isn't much sense of keeping old Mitel devices as SIP ones. Sell them to a someone who wants some Mitel phones and buy some refurb Polycoms or work out a trade with a refurb house.

Offline idxman01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 02:03:44 PM »
FWIW I ended up using option 43 (in lieu of 125) on both vlan1 and the voice vlan.  It works, though am not sure if it's 100% required.

I didn't have much luck with 5320e/30e's in SIP mode either.  Was kind of buggy.

You may want to look at Sangoma phones.  I have a s500 with FreePBX and you can use the endpoint manager for auto-provisioning.  (free for sangoma brand)

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 05:24:13 PM »
FWIW I ended up using option 43 (in lieu of 125) on both vlan1 and the voice vlan.  It works, though am not sure if it's 100% required.

I didn't have much luck with 5320e/30e's in SIP mode either.  Was kind of buggy.

You may want to look at Sangoma phones.  I have a s500 with FreePBX and you can use the endpoint manager for auto-provisioning.  (free for sangoma brand)
Nice... but fwiw, we use Bicom for our hosted system and Aastra/Mitel auto provisioning server now. Works very well.

Offline idxman01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 02:05:52 PM »
Nice... but fwiw, we use Bicom for our hosted system and Aastra/Mitel auto provisioning server now. Works very well.

Ah, very cool, I hadn't heard of Bicom.

Was mainly sending some fyi info for Giles.

Offline nsguru

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 05:58:55 PM »
Hi all,

I wanted to request info on this topic as well. The company I am trying to set phones up for has 5330,5340 and 5360 phones. I have boot load version 06.04.01.02 on all phones. The 5360s use Main Load Version 06.05.00.11 L2boot version 06.01.00.10 and 5330/40 uses 06.03.03.08 L2boot version 06.01.00.09

I have setup a TFTP server which has what i believe is all the necessary files. I am also using the TFTP server to push the configuration of the files. MN_<mac>.cfg

My problem that I am having is that the phones do not boot up all the way, they're getting stuck at downloading SIP ... 4 ...

I have tried to reboot multiple times and have gone through the config file to try and fix the issue but im not seeing anything.

If i turn off the TFTP server and then boot the phones they then come up with all of their config, blf keys can call inbound outbound all is working properly.

What could i be missing please help.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10