Author Topic: Message Notification  (Read 3761 times)

Offline ehusted

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Message Notification
« on: April 07, 2017, 04:03:57 PM »
I have a user with a 5340 phone that has an onscreen notification of 8 messages.  When she tries to clear them they come back within 5 minutes.  If she tries to reply it takes her to voicemail and when she enters her password it says invalid password.  I have tried deleting the voicemail box and re-creating it, un-register the pin on the phone and re-program it after copying another extensions settings to her extension.  I have also deleted her extension completely and re-created it with no luck.  Anyone have any ideas?  It is like the messages are sitting out there somewhere and when the extension is active again it shows messages on the phone screen.

Thanks
Eric

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
Re: Message Notification
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 05:31:18 PM »
Probably messages are from some other mailbox (general mailbox, sales mailbox etc.) Without picking up the phone have her press the lit message key.  Display should say "MSG FROM MBOX XXXX", or even "MSG FROM FRED" (remember, not all messages are from voice mail). Once you find out where the messages are from change the password for that mailbox so she can hear messages, maybe delete mbox if not needed (remembering to eliminate whatever sent messages there such as a menu choice or hunt group recall).

Offline ehusted

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 05:35:59 PM »
This is just the notification on screen no flashing light.  The two options are delete or reply.  There is no indication of where the message is coming from.  If she deletes they come back and if she tries to reply it goes to voicemail and her password doesn't work and then the message count increases from 8 to 9, 10 and so on for every failed attempt to reply.

Thanks,
Eric

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 05:48:23 PM »
Look in station programming under mailboxes to see if there is anything listed. Is this a single or multiple node system?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 06:20:45 PM by DND ON »

Offline ehusted

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 07:11:16 PM »
I don't see station programming under mailboxes.  I have a Mitel 5000 system.  It is a multi-node system as well.  We have a separate Mitel 5000 phone server in all 6 of our offices.

Thanks,
Eric

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 07:59:13 PM »
I believe that you either have a numbering conflict with an off-node device, or an unassociated mailbox is programmed for message notification to that phone.

Go to Devices and Feature Codes / Phones and open up that phone. Look under mailboxes and see if anything is listed.

Offline NTEDave

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »
I've had exactly this on Networked Systems before, in the end I left the phone that had the notifications a real VM.

Listened to it, deleted it and the notifications went away!

Offline ehusted

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 04:08:42 PM »
DND On,

I went into the phone extension and under mailboxes it only lists the mailbox for her extension.  To reiterate the problem is that the phone looks like there are 8 callback messages not voicemail's.  When she deletes them they return and if she replies it then takes her to the voicemail system.  In the voicemail system it asks for a password and her VM password is not accepted.   It then adds another message waiting on top of the others that won't go away.

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 06:02:17 PM »
Try this: press message key to return message, but instead of entering password press *.  That should take you back out to vmail base recording.  Enter a mailbox number in the same node as your user.  If it doesn't accept that number you're in the VM for a different node.  Then try numbers for user in each other node until you get one that works.  That's the node vm that's leaving the message.  Check all th nunassociated mailboxes there, and see if any are notifying your user.  Also make sure your user doesn't have a mbox on that node in addition to the one on his own.
Just a wild guess.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 12:09:36 PM »
ehusted,

Let's just help you clear some logic hurdles that you may be stumbling over. Everyone who knows the system well already knows that it is an unassociated mailbox leaving at least one of the messages so I will help you understand how we get to that.

1. When a message is left for a user there is typically [2] lights that flash on the 5340; regardless of where it comes from. The ring indicator and the message notification light should both be flashing when they get the message on the phone, but both of them can be reprogrammed to do something else and may not be working as expected. The default feature code for Message is 365, but you can look it up here. System > Devices and Feature Codes > Feature Codes > Message.

2. When a password is input incorrectly three times it will send the user another message to let them know that someone has input a password incorrectly three times. This way they know someone is trying to "hack" their mailbox and should change their password immediately.

3. Looking under the Mailbox portion of the user's phone only shows their own mailbox. Mailboxes from other nodes will not show here, but they are still capable of sending the user messages as long as the phone exists within that node as a remote user.

So the next time they get the message you have them dial 365, or whatever the Message FC is, on their phone while it is idle and it should show where all the messages are coming from. Then you can find that mailbox and figure out why that user is the one being notified. They may need to use the Special Key if they are unable to dial the Message FC without getting an error; this depends on how your system is programmed. Alternately you could change their Message button, the one that looks like a flying envelope, to be Message FC once again and they can press that. Pressing it multiple times will show where other messages are coming from if the count is not the same as the original; ie you could have 8 messages from mb 1234 and 2 messages from mb 5678 when it originally showed that you had 10 messages. To make sure this happens you can leave a message in the user's actual mailbox and then you know there are at least two locations that will be found by the message button.

Personally I would make a button on the phone a message button; anywhere is fine if you don't want it to be the flying envelope. This will make it easier to work with and then you can delete it later.

Thanks,

TE

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 12:32:40 PM »
This is going to be an off-node mailbox, either a numbering conflict or an unassociated mailbox with message notification programmed for that extension.

An unassociated mailbox on the same node, with message notification programmed, will appear under the mailbox listing for an extension. An off-node mailbox will not.

I would log into each remote node and check for a mailbox with the same number as the extension in question. If there is nothing fund, open all off-node unassociated mailboxes and look for one has that extension programmed for message notification.

Offline ehusted

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 01:20:56 PM »
Tech Electronics,

I appreciate your in depth information.  As you can tell I am new to the Mitel arena.  I will take a look at the options that you gave me and post back the results.  Thanks again.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10