Author Topic: Mitel 5330e - Waiting for Lan Link to come Up  (Read 18217 times)

Offline northernscum

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Mitel 5330e - Waiting for Lan Link to come Up
« on: April 06, 2017, 01:01:39 PM »
Hi there
 I installed 4 phones last week (tested) and all were working. This morning 2 of them are now displaying "Waiting for Lan link to come up". The phone, cables and ports are all fine. Thoughts? Help!

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel 5330e - Waiting for Lan Link to come Up
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 01:40:42 PM »
Might want to try a different switch port. Lots of storms all over the US yesterday, power fluctuations do weird things.

Offline northernscum

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 02:23:43 PM »
Um what? I tried a different cable and voila.

Offline ctmedina

• View Profile
    • Just me, and my ramblings
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 10:50:57 AM »
I have seen that before and sometimes cables and ports fix it, but now I have a phone that is doing it and I tried different cables, different ports, different switch, different everything. Could this be the phone as well? Anyone ever have this happen with the phone being the problem? Can a reset help?

Carlos

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 02:36:48 PM »
If that's the only phone doing it, yes it could be that the phone has gone bad.

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 02:40:33 PM »
Don't forget it could also be your structured cabling.
One test that is well worth doing is to nail the switchport to 100Mb instead of letting it negotiate 1000Mb.
100Mb only used 4 wires, and is far less sensitive to interference.
If 100Mb works without a hiccup then you have bad cabling or an environmental issue to track down.

Offline dg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 11:30:39 AM »
I actually had a case like this also, where it was the actual ethernet port in the phone itself. I tried cleaning the pins with contact cleaner and everything, but after a few times hanging up (causing vibrations on the port) it would drop again. This was in a new building with new structured cabling, all qualified cat6, and new patch cords.

One just never knows why things die like that.
-dg

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 03:59:24 PM »
I actually had a case like this also, where it was the actual ethernet port in the phone itself. I tried cleaning the pins with contact cleaner and everything, but after a few times hanging up (causing vibrations on the port) it would drop again. This was in a new building with new structured cabling, all qualified cat6, and new patch cords.

One just never knows why things die like that.
-dg

From experience its either: crap cable, crap containerization or a dodgy module (you don't see many of these but the modern tool-less ones are easier to break, shall we say).

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 11:33:02 AM »
My one memorable story on this... It is a good lesson so I will share it.

We did a "remote" install of about 50 phones once, not long ago, sometime last winter... Shipped the phones and all they had to do was plug them in and PIN them, their IT staff had done it numerous times before and never been a problem. This was probably the 3rd or 4th decent sized site they had deployed the devices themselves. We didn't expect any issues, new building, new cable, labeled, tested, quality switches, well defined network, etc. Should have been a simple thing.

At this site though, about 20 of the phones came right up, and the other 30 all sat on the "Waiting for LAN link to come up screen". Worked with them trying different ports, switches, cables, etc. All the runs were tested and certified CAT-6 by a knowledgeable contractor. We could not find the cause, but taking several phones directly to the switches and connecting them with multiple patch cords failed too, but yet some worked at the switch and not at the desktop. Seemed to be either multiple issues or a root one we couldn't narrow down.

So after a conference call with a couple other techs, my manager, and the customer's IT manager on Monday morning, I load up a couple cases of phones, switches, patch cords, etc... and drove 4-5 hours to the site. First inspection matched all remote testing.

The odd part here was the patch cords, both at the switch and at the phone, just felt "weird" to me... I can't really explain it, they just felt odd. So I asked where the patch cords that came with the phones were and they had them in a box in the back. After grabbing a few phones and using the factory patch cords at the switch, all worked. After grabbing them and a few quality longer patch cords from my van, between myself and the IT staff we got another 15 or so working by replacing all the patch cords at the phones. Finally wound up replacing patch cords at the switch with ones from my van, and all phones worked.

It was the patch cords... both at the switch -AND- at the phone, more failed than worked, although almost all of the patch cords passed the "PC test" when connected to a computer.

End result after talking to the IT person on site, they tried to save a few hundred bucks by ordering patch cords on eBay because they wanted specific colors and it was "too expensive" to get them locally, but they wound up having to replace all of them and it cost them way more in the end... Especially with a 15 hour service call on top of the price of the patch cords and their replacements.

So basically they spent I don't know how many hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe millions, on a new facility and infrastructure but someone thought it would be a good idea to save a few hundred dollars on patch cords. It wound up costing them more in the end. Did it really amount to much in the grand scheme of things? I don't know, but if they would have stuck with their "normal" suppliers and ponied up the extra few hundred dollars up front, this all would have been avoided.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 11:44:44 AM by acejavelin »

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 06:46:03 PM »
You definitely should never buy patch leads from eBay - there are a heap of *very* dodgy patch leads being made in some countries (naming no names...) where they save money by using aluminium instead of copper.

If you saved any of the dodgy cables, cut it and see what it's made of.

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 05:08:36 AM »
CCA; copper coated aluminium. Usually stiffer than pure copper (as ace noted) and thicker as well (to try and get the performance) and are dangerous if used PoE scenario's as the resistance is such that they may catch fire (if used in conjunction with CCA cable to the backbox). Their performance is likely to be dire in any case even if they pass a test. Despite what is says on the tin they are not tested and qualified for TIA standards work and never will be I would hazard.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 09:32:05 AM »
CCA; copper coated aluminium. Usually stiffer than pure copper (as ace noted) and thicker as well (to try and get the performance) and are dangerous if used PoE scenario's as the resistance is such that they may catch fire (if used in conjunction with CCA cable to the backbox). Their performance is likely to be dire in any case even if they pass a test. Despite what is says on the tin they are not tested and qualified for TIA standards work and never will be I would hazard.
That pretty much describes them exactly... larger and stiff, and the plastic felt cheap. My guess is you hit the nail on the head.

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 03:59:31 PM »
There is even quite a lot of CCA in the UK as electrical distributors were selling it cheap to electricians no so long ago; seems to have gone away now mind. Its still available I think at about half the price of proper cable.....

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10