Author Topic: RCS error, dhcp addresses in use that do not show in viewer  (Read 7794 times)

Offline wohan02149

• Contributer
    • View Profile
RCS error, dhcp addresses in use that do not show in viewer
« on: April 04, 2017, 06:33:28 PM »
Good evening, for the past 4 days, I have been having trouble with one of my 3300's.  New phones installed got the RCS error, until I expanded the DHCP scope by 5 more addresses.  After that, I started to notice that some of the MAC addresses in the DHCP Lease Viewer were not phones, even after deleting the lease, the device would still hold onto that address making it unusable for a phone.  This led into phones not being able to get DHCP addresses, we saw there was a data crossover and removed it.  This solved our random MAC addresses appearing in the DHCP lease viewer, however some addresses still were unavailable, and even addresses that were not taken could not be used to static a phone.  A new error started to appear in the DHCP lease viewer, "Server Reserved" and "IP in use" on the same line for multiple IP addresses.  Deleting these has proved to be unhelpful as well.

Currently, I have 204 phones at this site, licenses for 209.  I have 209 IP addresses reserved in my DHCP IP Address Range, however in the DHCP viewer I only have 174 IP addresses showing, and when I check to see which phones are out of service, I see anywhere between 4 to 9 phones.  The numbers and situation is not making sense to me at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me or have encountered this problem before?

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: RCS error, dhcp addresses in use that do not show in viewer
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 08:01:53 PM »
You can make the dhcp server only serve Mitel ip sets. From what I see, you might have bigger issues.

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 01:15:22 AM »
  A new error started to appear in the DHCP lease viewer, "Server Reserved" and "IP in use" on the same line for multiple IP addresses.  Deleting these has proved to be unhelpful as well.

You should thank your controller that it is not handing out IP addresses that are already in use to phones, because otherwise you would be having all sorts of problems.

Basically, your problem is not your DHCP server or scope.
Your problem is your network is broken. Get whoever is in charge of that to fix it - you should not be getting any devices on the Data VLAN contacting your 3300 for DHCP. Either they've put an IP helper on the Data VLAN interface pointing at the controller, or they've somehow bridged the VLANs. Or maybe the 3300 is on the Data subnet, which would be very lame. Or maybe the Data VLAN has been added to the switchport the controller is patched to (although "IP in use" hints this isn't the issue).

Having said that - why is your DHCP scope restricted to 209 entries? Just make it bigger.

If you have access to the switch infrastructure, get on your "core" switch and run a "show mac-address table". Find all the MAC addresses that aren't phones and that are occupying a DHCP lease on the 3300 and look at what switchport they are on. If it's an uplink, get on the relevant switch and run the command on it.
pull the cable out of each port these devices are on (in order to kill their network cards), then delete those leases in DHCP, and make sure the network is fixed otherwise it will just happen again.

Offline wohan02149

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 05:05:06 AM »
You can make the dhcp server only serve Mitel ip sets. From what I see, you might have bigger issues.
Using a post on the forum, I redid the DHCP IP address range to allow only Mitel devices to get a DHCP lease last night.  Currently I have five phones out of order.  I will be going in this morning to reset them and see if the error changes.

A new error started to appear in the DHCP lease viewer, "Server Reserved" and "IP in use" on the same line for multiple IP addresses.  Deleting these has proved to be unhelpful as well.

You should thank your controller that it is not handing out IP addresses that are already in use to phones, because otherwise you would be having all sorts of problems.

Basically, your problem is not your DHCP server or scope.
Your problem is your network is broken. Get whoever is in charge of that to fix it - you should not be getting any devices on the Data VLAN contacting your 3300 for DHCP. Either they've put an IP helper on the Data VLAN interface pointing at the controller, or they've somehow bridged the VLANs. Or maybe the 3300 is on the Data subnet, which would be very lame. Or maybe the Data VLAN has been added to the switchport the controller is patched to (although "IP in use" hints this isn't the issue).

Having said that - why is your DHCP scope restricted to 209 entries? Just make it bigger.

If you have access to the switch infrastructure, get on your "core" switch and run a "show mac-address table". Find all the MAC addresses that aren't phones and that are occupying a DHCP lease on the 3300 and look at what switchport they are on. If it's an uplink, get on the relevant switch and run the command on it.
pull the cable out of each port these devices are on (in order to kill their network cards), then delete those leases in DHCP, and make sure the network is fixed otherwise it will just happen again.

I just gained access to the switches yesterday afternoon.  The configuration has the VoIP and Data networks completely separate.  I did check the switches and found several suspect ports I will be going in shortly to check that were not getting PoE but had a connection.  I have expanded the scope several times, but the moment I do, the IPs are taken up almost immediately before a phone can even get one, so I reduced it back down to the number of licenses I have for the time being. 

Offline wohan02149

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 05:48:48 PM »
Problem has been solved by only allowing Mitel devices to connect although I still have a number of System Reserved addresses showing up.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10