Author Topic: Turn off speakers on 8662 Phones?  (Read 4300 times)

Offline FirstSource

• View Profile
Turn off speakers on 8662 Phones?
« on: March 20, 2017, 11:19:44 AM »
Management wants me to disable the speaker phones on our 8662 IP phones. Where can I find a setting for this? We are still on older software version (2.3.6.73). Thanks
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:37:40 PM by ralph »

Offline OPG

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Re: Turn of speakers?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:07:44 PM »
FirstSource, Do you want to disable the ability of any user to use their speakerphone, or simply stop IC calls from going directly to Speaker?
To simply stop IC calls from announcing, turn off the Station (Endpoint?) flag 'Handsfree'. to disable the speakerphone entirely, i believe there is a field in each extension for speakerphone type. The choices are Standard, Enhanced or Disabled.

Offline FirstSource

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 02:49:34 PM »
FirstSource, Do you want to disable the ability of any user to use their speakerphone, or simply stop IC calls from going directly to Speaker?
To simply stop IC calls from announcing, turn off the Station (Endpoint?) flag 'Handsfree'. to disable the speakerphone entirely, i believe there is a field in each extension for speakerphone type. The choices are Standard, Enhanced or Disabled.

I want disable the speakerphone entirely, but per your instructions (and the built in help topics) I can't find the "Speakerphone Type" selection. Help says it's supposed to be under System\Devices and Feature Codes\Endpoints\Local, but I don't have a "Local" option. Could it just be that I have an outdated software version which doesn't have that feature?

Thanks
Chris

Offline OPG

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 03:03:29 PM »
Simply open any extension under Endpoints, right below Calling Party Number, you'll see the field for Speakerphone Type.
"Local" only applies if you have 2 or more systems networked.
You can then copy & paste that to all the other extensions
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:05:07 PM by OPG »

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 04:31:11 PM »
Phone type may be an issue.  SPEAKERPHONE TYPE flag is only available on digital phones now, not sure why they removed it for 53XX phones.  I assume that was true on your older software too, but don't know for sure.

Offline irongladiator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 07:29:04 PM »
FirstSource,
This is a bit old school, and as crazy as it sounds, but you can always open the phone and clip your speakerphone leads. (Obviously voiding any warranty you may have:o

We do this for an entirely different reason (and usually to only one phone) As you may or may not know the Mitel 5485 IP Paging unit is not equipped to be configured for "Teleworker" mode. So what we'll do is take one phone (Usually a Mitel 5304 IP Phone) void its warranty and make a paging solution. (If anyone is interested please see the attached) AGAIN, DOING THIS WILL VOID THE PHONES WARRANTY! DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

We've configured a dozen or so of these solutions where we couldn't add the Mitel 5485 Paging Unit, and they've all worked out great! Anywho, my two cents.

Thanks,
-Iron

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 08:23:51 AM »
I think cutting a speaker lead will also disable ring, think ring uses the same speaker.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 09:01:10 AM »
I think cutting a speaker lead will also disable ring, think ring uses the same speaker.
It will, as well as pages and anything that might come over the speaker.

There is no way to disable just the speakerphone of a Mitel 53xx set on the 5000 that I am aware of.

Offline FirstSource

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 04:41:10 PM »
Simply open any extension under Endpoints, right below Calling Party Number, you'll see the field for Speakerphone Type.
"Local" only applies if you have 2 or more systems networked.
You can then copy & paste that to all the other extensions

I don't have that option. Under Calling Party Number is > Attached Device which has the only option available selected as Desktop Interface Socket. I have looked in the obvious places and see no options for Speakerphone Type. I'm sure it's an issue with the older software we are using.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:44:19 PM by FirstSource »

Offline FirstSource

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 04:41:39 PM »
Phone type may be an issue.  SPEAKERPHONE TYPE flag is only available on digital phones now, not sure why they removed it for 53XX phones.  I assume that was true on your older software too, but don't know for sure.

I have 86XX series phones

Offline Curtis-at-Travis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 10:40:39 AM »
How about enabling the "Headset Mode" on the phones, and then changing the code to something that is not known to the users?  Also change the code for Defaulting the station, so that it can't be enabled by accident.

Disadvantage to this is that the hookswitch is disabled, and calls would have to be started by pressing a call key, and you would need a release button programmed to hang up the call.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 11:34:40 AM »
... Disadvantage to this is that the hookswitch is disabled, and calls would have to be started by pressing a call key, and you would need a release button programmed to hang up the call. ...

There is no release key on this system.

This is a personnel issue, not a technology issue. If management doesn't want people to use speakerphones, tell the employees not to. Problem solved.

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 11:43:52 AM »
I believe the microphone on these phones is in the little slot on the bottom right next to the hing.  Fill that with black silicone caulk.  No mic = unusable speakerphone.

Offline Curtis-at-Travis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 02:49:30 PM »
Re:Release Key
You are absolutely right-there is on Release Key.
What I should have said is the Speaker Button acts as the Release Key when the phone is in Headset Mode.

Offline FirstSource

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 08:50:22 AM »
... Disadvantage to this is that the hookswitch is disabled, and calls would have to be started by pressing a call key, and you would need a release button programmed to hang up the call. ...

There is no release key on this system.

This is a personnel issue, not a technology issue. If management doesn't want people to use speakerphones, tell the employees not to. Problem solved.

DND

This procedure has already been put into place, but they were hoping to get a technical fix in as well. I guess we will just have to live with what we have for now until I can convince them to upgrade the system.

On another topic: Are these IP phone backwards compatible? Can I use the existing 8622 and 8662 phones on version 6 software with new hardware chassis?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10