Author Topic: Seperate Mitel Controller 3300 with Mitel ASU II Analogue unit  (Read 4303 times)

Offline pacifichydro

• View Profile
Hi

We plan to relocate the mitel controller unit to data centre and find out it have the the Mitel 3300 ICP ASU II Analog Services Unit connect to it I believe through cross over Ethernet (CIM port)

Certainly we cannot bring the Analog unit to data centre due to analogue lines stay in the office

Can I check with you can these two units separated (one in data centre and one in Melbourne office?) We have the dark fibre connect data centre to Melbourne office currently

Is it work if we connect cross over cable from analog unit to the switch and at the other end connect another switch port with  cross over cable to the mitel controller?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Seperate Mitel Controller 3300 with Mitel ASU II Analogue unit
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 08:36:51 PM »
The CIM ports are NOT Ethernet, it is a proprietary ATM connection. The ASU must be co-located within 100' of the 3300 controller.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:02:28 AM by acejavelin »

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 11:28:24 PM »
How many analogue lines do you have?

Offline petr.necas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 02:09:55 AM »
The cable between the ICP and ASU II can be up to 30 meters long, but this is probably not your case.

Tip:
The ASU can be located up to 30 meters (100 feet) away from the controller. The interface uses a single standard 8-pin modular jack consisting
of 2 balanced signal pairs, and is located on the front of the unit.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 11:04:09 AM »
The solution here is to look at what is in the ASU... is it just ONS ports, or are there trunks (LS lines) involved as well?

A multi-port SIP gateway is likely the answer.

Offline Dogbreath

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 11:17:17 AM »
You could put vMCD in DC instead and IP trunk it with MCD connected to ASU, if you really really want to keep ASU [will give you resiliency options too I guess].
Otherwise you will need to replace ASU with something SIP-based.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 05:40:36 PM »
Is this an enterprise system?

Offline pacifichydro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 05:43:46 PM »
Thanks all for the response

This is an enterprise system

What I can see is the CIM1 port from mitel controller connect to ASU II unit through CIM port and at the back got the card ONSP 24 ports that provide 8 analogue lines for faxes, polycom teleconference unit in meeting room

Obviously we cannot bring those analogue lines into our data centre

I am interested to see this option: "You could put vMCD in DC instead and IP trunk it with MCD connected to ASU". Can you please explain more about this option?

Alternatively with the polycom teleconference unit I just wonder if there are any units that SIP base that can register with mitel controller 3300 as the SIP device (give this SIP base teleconference unit an extension) then we dont need ASU II unit anymore. For the fax service we could use fax online service so we can port the number over to the provider and can send/receive fax with monthly base cost.

thanks

hung nguyen

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 06:11:40 PM »
Thanks all for the response

This is an enterprise system

What I can see is the CIM1 port from mitel controller connect to ASU II unit through CIM port and at the back got the card ONSP 24 ports that provide 8 analogue lines for faxes, polycom teleconference unit in meeting room

I am interested to see this option: "You could put vMCD in DC instead and IP trunk it with MCD connected to ASU". Can you please explain more about this option?

Alternatively with the polycom teleconference unit I just wonder if there are any units that SIP base that can register with mitel controller 3300 as the SIP device (give this SIP base teleconference unit an extension) then we dont need ASU II unit anymore. For the fax service we could use fax online service so we can port the number over to the provider and can send/receive fax with monthly base cost.

thanks

hung nguyen
Mitel sells a SIP conference phone called the UC360 http://www.mitel.com/products/mitel-business-phones/mivoice-video-phone

There are dozens of other manufacturers of SIP conference device that will work as generic SIP devices on the Mitel.

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 08:29:53 PM »

So you have 8 analogue lines.

You have a combination of options to choose from:
Build a new vMCD on a server in your datacentre, leave the MCD and ASU in the wiring closet, then cluster the two controllers together.

Move the MCD to the data centre, or replace it with a vMCD, get rid of the ASU and then address the analogue devices:
 - faxes - find an alternative fax answer point (Mitel NuPoint could do it, or an outsourced service) or put an ATA in the wiring closet, patch the faxes to it, and register them through the ATA as SIP endpoints on the controller
 - conference units - replace them with SIP-based units (The Mitel UC360 doesn't have the wireless option that Polycom's might have though) or patch the Polycoms to an ATA and then register them as SIP based endpoints through the ATA.

Offline pacifichydro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 11:18:51 PM »
Thanks Vince and acejavelin for your help

For the ATA as SIP endpoint on the controller, how much effort will need to configure the mitel controller to accept the SIP device? Do you know if it is a feature already available in Mitel controller that we can look at. I believe license is the other problem

I did use the ATA before and it is working quite well but I am not too sure the mitel controller part (how to configure it to access SIP end point and licensing model). Sorry I inherit the system from the previous guys without much anything transfer but I can see we dont use any SIP end point currently

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 12:27:30 AM »
Depending on your version of software a SIP license is the same as a User license.
These are different to ONS licenses though, which you would currently have to use the analogues on the ONS24P card.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 08:49:04 AM »
Depending on your version of software a SIP license is the same as a User license.
These are different to ONS licenses though, which you would currently have to use the analogues on the ONS24P card.
Although if you upgrade to MiVB 8, all analog licenses become Single Line licenses and can be SIP or analog extensions.

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 07:05:28 PM »
I've found on v6  that if I forget to go into Licensing to take Analog licences out of the ULM onto the controller where I need to add some analog sets, it doesn't stop me from configuring the Analog sets and they apparently work without a licence anyway.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10