Author Topic: MiCollab Client for Android - Any known app conflicts or known "gotchas"??  (Read 4301 times)

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
I have a customer that has MiCollab Client 7.3 and about 50 or so MiCollab Clients for Mobile device deployed, a mix of Apple and Android, and for the most part they work fine, but we have ONE Android user that just cannot get it to work on WiFi... any WiFi at all it just fails to connect, works fine on mobile data, and the WiFi works fine for other apps.

I am suspecting an app conflict or maybe some kind of security software is installed that is causing it to fail, but don't know where to start... Does anyone know of known conflicts with other apps or other gotchas that might cause the client to fail?

These are BYOD users, not company managed, so it could be anything at all.

The problem device is a Verizon branded Samsung Galaxy S7 on Android 6.0.1

EDIT: We were able to duplicate the issue in-house with a Verizon Galaxy S7 Edge... Seems to work, just always says "Registration Lost" for softphone when on WiFi.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 05:30:13 PM by acejavelin »

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Is it only disconnecting the softphone or losing connection altogether? We have several Galaxy users but none are on the S7 yet. I wonder if wifi-calling is messing it up somehow.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Is it only disconnecting the softphone or losing connection altogether? We have several Galaxy users but none are on the S7 yet. I wonder if wifi-calling is messing it up somehow.
The softphone is losing it's connection, the client is working (we can chat and see presence information)... I have tried disabling WiFi calling in the device and it doesn't make any difference.

This has also spread to some other test devices, all Samsungs on Verizon, Galaxy Note 5, Galaxy S7, and Galaxy S7 Edge.

The weird part is if the MiCollab client connects while on 1x or 3G, then switches to WiFi, everything works and I can make and receive calls. If it is on LTE and it moves to WiFi it goes to "Registering" and looks connected for a second then says "Registration Lost" on the softphone. If it is just connected to WiFi, it will connect the client and softphone fails with the same registration lost message.

I have opened a ticket with Mitel and submitted device diagnostics, but haven't heard back yet.

Offline siking85

• View Profile
Hi,

I'm having exactly the same issues. I've been investigating today on site for the last few hours and it seems to be an Android issue. Tested with my iPhone and it works flawlessly all around the building.

With the Android handset if you disconnect from wifi and reconnect the phone will re-register.

After trawling through android forums apparently Android phones had to remove auto switch feature for AP's as it is an Apple patent.

http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/74754/can-android-switch-to-the-wireless-ap-with-the-strongest-signal

There are 3rd party apps that will apparently do this, however I'm still having the same issue with these running in the background - Wifi Roaming fix being the one i'm testing with. I've also put the phone into developer mode and enabled 'Always allow Wi-Fi Roam Scans' to no avail.

I'll update with a fix if I can resolve this today. It may be that the customer has to buy iPhones  ;D

Thanks

Offline siking85

• View Profile
I've just updated my ticket with Mitel UK support.

When using the wifi roaming fix you are unable to connect to the MiCollab server with the client when you connect to another AP.

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Ace, is your client a US user? I've heard of some international providers subnetting and NAT-ing their cellular data service so, for instance, people are unable to game over LTE because they don't have control over the firewall.

I haven't heard of any of the major cell players in the US or UK doing this, but some smaller regional outfits might. That also doesn't explain why it works over 3G, unless its provisioned differently, which it may be. One time we had a specific user who could not get her company email over imap on her cell phone. Turned out her carrier was blocking IMAP port 143.

The more I type, the less sense that makes though because these users are having device specific, not carrier specific issues.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Ace, is your client a US user? I've heard of some international providers subnetting and NAT-ing their cellular data service so, for instance, people are unable to game over LTE because they don't have control over the firewall.

I haven't heard of any of the major cell players in the US or UK doing this, but some smaller regional outfits might. That also doesn't explain why it works over 3G, unless its provisioned differently, which it may be. One time we had a specific user who could not get her company email over imap on her cell phone. Turned out her carrier was blocking IMAP port 143.

The more I type, the less sense that makes though because these users are having device specific, not carrier specific issues.
Thanks for replying

These are a US users hitting a US MBG and a US MiCollab and MiVB server. Mobile data connections work fine for all services. So far all EU users who go through a MBG in Dublin have had no issues

This is strictly on WiFi and only with newer Samsung devices, Note 5, S7, and S7 Edge are the only ones effected so far, and only on Verizon (a large US carrier, one of our "big 3" carriers).  We have gone so far as to factory reset a device, set it up without restoring any apps, install MiCollab Client and it still occurs. These are BYOD users, so far there have been no complaints from users on other carriers or with other devices.

Mitel has been investigating a couple weeks now... I am out of the office a couple days but they are requesting new traces which I will try to get to them Monday.

I would think this scenario to be common, the biggest US carrier with the most popular phone on the market today, yet Mitel seems baffled.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10