Author Topic: Stop calls to static ext. when hot desk is logged in ???  (Read 1333 times)

Offline AchtungNate

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Stop calls to static ext. when hot desk is logged in ???
« on: February 16, 2017, 11:34:27 AM »

Hi guys, bizarre request but I'm setting up something a little unique and not necessarily the norm.

I am required to have phones that, at any given moment, we can repurpose from within my business to create an ad-hoc incident management "IM" room. Taking calls on specific DDIs only and ideally NOT take any internal calls at all.

I'm struggling to come up with much of a solution, I've configured a "IM" hunt group. This has two static phones in it which are purposed for specifically for this task but there is also requirement for FOUR more telephones to be repurposed from other, low telephone use areas in the business as and when needed. Initially I thought of using Hot Desk profiles so the user setting up the four extra phones could simply log in using the profiles given and thus putting those phones "live" in the hunt group. This meets my initial working criteria, however if somebody is to dial one of the original ext. numbers of those repurposed phones they still call through, I'd ideally like this to not happen if possible.

Another reason for using hot desk profiles is that if the repurposed phones are not needed those numbers will not get calls from the "IM" hunt group. Some of these calls may be sensitive in nature and I need them to be dealt with by the assigned staff.

Any help, advice or tips is greatly appreciated.

I'm using MiVoice Office 250 and 5312 IP handsets.

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Stop calls to static ext. when hot desk is logged in ???
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 11:53:09 AM »
I think the original numbers would also have to be Hot Desk extensions to no get call to the original extension when in the IM room. They would sign out of those and in to the IM Hotdesk extensions.

On a 3300 you could also set up personal ring groups, if the regular/IM extensions that move are always the same, and manage the regular/IM extensions with presence. I'm not sure if the same option exists on the Office 250.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:59:56 AM »
Calls placed to the original extension number will not ring through when the hot desk profile is active.

You can't prevent a station from receiving an IC call, but you can create an immediate IC forward path to divert IC calls.

Offline AchtungNate

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 12:12:54 PM »
I logged onto my own ext. using the hot desk profile and then dialled my own (original) ext. and it still rang through. I may well be missing something.

Thanks for the replies so far though, much appreciated.

Online Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 12:18:34 PM »
AchtungNate,

Well if you don't like the Hot Desk feature than just create new phone extension for this purpose. The good thing is that you can setup the phone however you like, but until someone clears the pin of another phone and then pins it with the new extension it is not accessible. The other good part is that all the phone you have are the same model.

For the IC issue the only thing you can do is set up a forwarding path that doesn't allow IC calls to ring the phone, but immediately go to wherever the call would need to go; typically a CRA that plays a message, or not, and then hangs up.

Thanks,

TE

Offline AchtungNate

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 12:29:02 PM »
I forgot to stipulate that the brief given to me was that this needs to be pre-configured so that a "non-technical" person can set this up in the event of a emergency (with instructions provided might I add).

So while with myself or other colleagues from IT on site we could reconfigure phones and extensions relatively quickly, we may not be the first staff to arrive (if at all) so the set up needs to be as hands off as possible. It may be the case that we just have to put up with a few nuances like existing extensions receiving calls. It's worth pointing out that the "repurposed" phones are purely internal only and have no external DDI so we'd not risk any other external calls coming in to the "IM" lines.

Thanks again for the thoughts so far.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 12:52:33 PM »
I logged onto my own ext. using the hot desk profile and then dialled my own (original) ext. and it still rang through. I may well be missing something.

Not possible for the original phone to ring while the hot desk profile is active, just as the hot desk profile will not ring if isn't active. That's how hot desking works.

Did you hear ringing on the phone placing the call and think that it meant the desk phone was ringing? The caller will hear ringing until the forward timer expires, assuming there is a forward path on the phone.

Online Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 02:18:11 PM »
AchtungNate,

Then it looks as though it is going to have to be one of two options.

1. Use Hot Desk Profiles.
2. Buy 4 new phones and licenses and store them somewhere; this is what we do for police departments for major case squad instances.

I personally prefer option 2 for this setup.

Thanks,

TE

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 03:13:20 PM »
I’d go with hot desking. We use it every day, for different reasons:

* Employees who job share and share a desk.

* Road warriors who are only in the office occasionally and share bullpen space. Their hot desk profiles are twinned with their cell phones when they’re on the road.

* Day and night shifts in our call center, where agents share desks but are members of different ACD hunt groups.

* Employees who travel between offices.

Each of these people just walk up to a phone and log in to their hot desk profile, and their calls just find them magically. Not really, but it seems like it to the end user.

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 08:21:02 PM »
Not in a place where I can test this, but have you tried putting original phone in DND before invoking Hot Desk?

Offline AchtungNate

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 04:13:54 AM »
Not in a place where I can test this, but have you tried putting original phone in DND before invoking Hot Desk?

Just tested and this works, the calls won't go through to the original Ext. but will get to the hot desk Ext.

With regards to option 2 from TE that's not something my company are really willing to do for the sake of avoiding a few random calls. The IM room hasn't been needed for almost two years and we hope it never has to be used again. So I'm just trying to reduce the chance of it happening really.

Offline AchtungNate

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 10:30:57 AM »

Thanks for all the help on this so far.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10