Author Topic: Remote Analogs  (Read 1472 times)

Online ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Remote Analogs
« on: February 09, 2017, 04:24:12 PM »
If you have a remote site that's pretty small, but all IP for phones how do you run analog lines like faxes? Do you prefer to put a MCD solution on site or just run the POTS lines through the local carrier?

I've had a couple of dilemmas with that lately where I'm not sure it makes sense to invest in a PBX on site, but I would love those lines to be in our cluster. I would also like to save the money by having those lines as a DID on our PRI spans that centrally serve us instead of run them for $20 a month in to the building.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:25:45 PM by ZuluAlpha »

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
Re: Remote Analogs
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 05:26:18 PM »
No, don't put hardware on site.

You could have dedicated PSTN lines for each local fax machine, This is a simple setup.
This isn't the way we do this, as PSTN is gradually being removed as a telecomms option where we are.

The new-fangled proper IT way of dealing with faxes is to use NuPoint for receiving faxes to email and using the desktop fax printer software for sending, or just scan and email.
A half-way solution is to attach each fax to an ATA and configure it as an IP endpoint on your controller - you'll need to make sure your carrier supports T.38 - if your telephony service is a SIP service.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 07:05:00 PM »
If you have a remote site that's pretty small, but all IP for phones how do you run analog lines like faxes? Do you prefer to put a MCD solution on site or just run the POTS lines through the local carrier?

I've had a couple of dilemmas with that lately where I'm not sure it makes sense to invest in a PBX on site, but I would love those lines to be in our cluster. I would also like to save the money by having those lines as a DID on our PRI spans that centrally serve us instead of run them for $20 a month in to the building.
How "small" do you mean? 5 users, 10, 20, 50, or ??? Makes a big difference...

If you want to invest in DSPII's and T.38 compression licenses, you could put a SIP analog ATA out there, but just without them just running G.711 it is hit an miss sometimes... If you just need one or two analogs, then you are probably better off to get a line or two from your telco/cable provider.

Remember there are other options, a fax server or appliance might work well to. Just install it at the main site and let users send/recieve faxes via computer and scanner (if necessary). We use these quite a bit: http://www.multitech.com/brands/faxfinder
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 07:14:55 PM by acejavelin »

Online ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 08:54:12 AM »
Remote sites for me range from 20 to 70 users. Sometimes three or four faxes in play.

Do you guys ever get any resistance on faxes to email not being acronym compliant (HIPAA, CPI, Etc)?

If it was login/server based though I bet that wouldn't be an issue.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 11:08:17 AM »
Remote sites for me range from 20 to 70 users. Sometimes three or four faxes in play.

Do you guys ever get any resistance on faxes to email not being acronym compliant (HIPAA, CPI, Etc)?

If it was login/server based though I bet that wouldn't be an issue.
Yeah, those are a real issue... the only way is to encrypt/password protect the PDF or use a secure email portal.

TBH, I would probably just get telco lines for the faxes in the case where secure transmission is required.

I keep waiting for the day faxes will just die... someday...

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 06:10:03 PM »
If you want acronym compliance you should go with a dedicated fax gateway system and keep faxes out of your voice solution.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10