Author Topic: Switched phone service providers (digital to analog lines)  (Read 1037 times)

Offline apms

• View Profile
Switched phone service providers (digital to analog lines)
« on: January 23, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »
I have a total of 3 phone lines...line 1 and 2 going to the Mitel 5000 phone system and line 3 going directly to the fax machine (this one works fine).  Today, I switched from AT&T (digital lines) to Comcast (Analog lines) and am having some issues with the phone system side of things.  We are getting a dial tone on lines 1 and 2 as it comes into the building, but not when we route the lines over to the phone system.  We did have some sporadic luck with line 1, but it would go from working to not working within minutes.  After hours of struggling trying to get the lines to work with the phone system, the Comcast tech pushed the blame on the phone system and said that since we had digital lines with AT&T and now that it's analog we would need to switch some settings with the Mitel 5000.  He seems to have a point that it might be the phone system since I can easily route lines 1 or 2 over to the fax machine and it works perfectly.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your help.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Switched phone service providers (digital to analog lines)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 07:47:30 AM »
apms,

What type of Digital line are you referring to? If you are talking about a T-1 or PRI then what Comcast installed will not work with the same interface and it would require some rewiring on your phone system.

Now, if the "Digital" line was converted to analog via some sort of channel bank then it would still require some sort of change to that connection as well.

Thanks,

TE

Offline apms

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 07:54:30 AM »
I'm not sure about the digital line...this is what the Comcast tech told me we had with AT&T.  AT&T line was coming directly into the building via normal phone line.  The only thing Comcast did was add an ARRIS TM804.  I assume that converts to analog...if we actually had digital to begin with?

Offline apms

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 08:34:49 AM »
Just talked to a certified Mitel tech and yes he needs to come out and rewire some things.  Thanks for your help.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 09:23:46 AM »
apms,

If I had to make a guess I would say that you went from an AT&T CO Line with DSL to a Cable line converted to analog via a modem through Comcast. As long as the lines were connected to the same location it should have worked fine, but from my experience with Charter, similar to your Comcast, the level of knowledge and experience of their technicians can be somewhat lacking on how to connect them up properly; not that it is difficult.

Anyway, it is usually best to always have your vendor available to work with a new service provider to alleviate the issues you already went through.

Sorry,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10