Author Topic: Mitel 5000 Outbound Caller ID  (Read 3463 times)

Offline SymbolArts

• View Profile
Mitel 5000 Outbound Caller ID
« on: January 05, 2017, 12:43:52 PM »
We have been trying to get our outbound caller id to show our company name.  Right now it shows just the phone number or unknown.  I have talked with our phone company and they said that the id is activated on their side.  How can I get it to work.

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel 5000 Outbound Caller ID
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 12:47:05 PM »
When you're testing this, what type of device are you calling? A cellphone or a landline?

Offline SymbolArts

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 04:28:05 PM »
To a cell phone

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 04:29:29 PM »
Cell phones don't receive Caller ID name, only number. (The name you see if pulled from the phones Contact list if it finds a match.) You'll need to test with a landline.

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 04:58:58 PM »
Just to add a little to what bluewhite4 says. I have seen Google add the name info on some Android devices, but that's taken from their database, not sent from the telco.

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 05:06:02 PM »
Just to add a little to what bluewhite4 says. I have seen Google add the name info on some Android devices, but that's taken from their database, not sent from the telco.
Interesting...I've always been an iPhone user, so didn't know Android would do this.Thanks for sharing!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 09:39:13 PM »
Interesting...I've always been an iPhone user, so didn't know Android would do this.Thanks for sharing!
Android in general doesn't do this as pure AOSP, there are some Dialer applications (and some that are bundled by various OEMs) and many custom ROMs that can do outbound and inbound lookups, some to Google, WhitePages, OpenCNAM, and other services. It is more common than you think, say you call 222-1111 for pizza, the dialer application can do a reverse lookup as the call is setup and it will say "Calling Pizza Hut North" or something like that, same with inbound calls, it sees 701-221-9601 come in as the Caller ID so it checks your Contacts and finds no match, then it does a lookup to whatever database its set to and comes back and says "Gamestop Kirkwood Mall" as the caller ID name even though it isn't in my contacts. The name isn't coming from the PBX or carrier, it is being looked up by the handset itself. Although some Android devices do not support this, so they will just say UNKNOWN or the number only.

One more reason (of hundreds I guess) I prefer Android over iPhone... But I digress, this isn't about that.

Outbound CID is generally sent to Landlines (analog, PRI, etc) or SIP, not cell phones. In most cases it is supplied by the carrier, there also some gotchas... for example if the main number is 651-444-5555 and tell telco the outbound CID is "Company XYZ", you have to SEND that CID out the PRI for it to work, if you send a DID of 651-445-1101 it doesn't match the telco's records so it only shows UNKNOWN or something similar even on devices that support CID Name. In my experience, most US carriers will not accept you sending a Outbound CID name over PRI and you must refer to the carrier, but often SIP carriers do allow this.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10