Author Topic: Something pretty cool happened while watching the parade  (Read 1483 times)

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Something pretty cool happened while watching the parade
« on: July 04, 2016, 02:26:29 PM »
I thought this was pretty cool so I thought I'd share.
This morning while I was waiting to leave my house to go watch the 4th of July parade here in my town, I was bored so I ended up loading a police scanner on my cell phone.
Then when I was down sitting along side the street waiting for the parade I heard the police on the radio talking about a missing 4 year old girl.   As they're describing her I see her on the other side of the street.  It took me a second because I'm thinking that "something like that doesn't happen to me" but they described her a second time and sure enough it was her.
It took me a block to catch up with her.  She was crying and saying she couldn't find her mommy and daddy.
I called 911 and waited for the cops to come.

Call it fortuitous or call it a God thing but if I hadn't have loaded that police scanner app this morning who know what would have happened.  That sure energized me.  That was awesome!

Ralph

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 10:03:10 PM by ralph »

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Something pretty cool happened while watching the parade
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 06:00:43 AM »
With all the terrible things that happen in the world today it is good to see a positive outcome once in a while.
Not enough of it happening at the moment.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 07:37:00 PM »
Cool :-)

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 10:01:35 PM »
Someone tagged me on FB to show me this.
This is from someone that was sitting next to the parents when the girl went missing.
The comments about the "negative Publicity" was because the night before the fireworks were held.  70,000 people invaded our little town.
On one of the beaches some non-locals got so out of hand with fighting and throwing(!) bottles that the police closed the beach.  That had never happened before.  Kinda sad.

But this is really cool.  I'm glad I got to hear what happened when the little girl made it back to her parents.
With all of the negative publicity South Haven has been receiving, I just want to take a brief momet to share my experience today.

I went to South Haven this morning to watch their parade. It was my first time attending a parade in South Haven. Shortly after we found our place to sit, the family next to us couldn't find their little girl. They were in a panic and I witnessed tons of people offering assistance to this family. They asked what her name was, for a description of her and her clothes, and then went off in all directions looking for this little one. People rode their bikes along the parade route spreading the word, looked all over with the family, and even volunteered to watch their other 3 children so the parents were free to look for their missing child. The South Haven police were able to locate the little girl and return her safely to her family. The crowd cheered her return and the family shared their appreciation by hugging all those that were near and helped them out.

This little girl and her family are here on vacation, she kept walking past her family's location to watch the parade, and simply got lost. I am not a member of this family, but I did sit next to them and they are extremely thankful to everyone that stepped up and helped them locate their 4-year old daughter. Way to pull together as a community and demonstrate that their are still many good people in this world that are willing to help out and do what is right in a crisis situation.

Happy 4th of July!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10