Author Topic: Cannot get Anolog Lines off of locked out  (Read 3855 times)

Offline wohan02149

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Cannot get Anolog Lines off of locked out
« on: December 17, 2015, 01:20:25 PM »
Good afternoon,

I was hoping to get a little advice as to approaching the "Locked Out" analog lines I have.  I have two extensions like this, before they were not receiving power or dial tone, so I replaced the plate and re-punched the wires.  Now sadly my analog phones get power but still no dial tone.  When doing a status check on them it shows them "Locked Out" which is different from before, they showed idle but obviously did not work.  I've tried RTS and a few other things, but to no avail.  When clearing the sets I have to Force it due to circuit activity. 

Sadly, I also do not normally work on the telephones physically diagnosing them so I do not have tools such as a butt set so testing the line is a bit difficult.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Update:
So the statuswent to idle after removing and resetting, however I still get no dial tone and no one can call in.  I have attached a screenshot of what happens when you try to call the number.  After calling in, it goes to busy and then back to locked out.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:48:19 PM by wohan02149 »

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Cannot get Anolog Lines off of locked out
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 10:34:56 PM »
Locked out means they have been off hook for longer than <some timer I don't remember the name of>, this can be caused by:

1) Phone left off-hook
2) Improper or defective cabling or jack
3) Bad punchdown like a crossed-pair or double punched pair
4) Bad amphenol cable or end
5) Bad cabinet
6) Bad ONS card (or port on the card)

Break down the line with a test set or jack on a piece of jumper wire with a known good phone connected, check the output of the system with the station cable or jumper removed to verify the system is sending out dial tone... If this failed in-service, then assuming the environment hasn't changed in some way, the most likely cause is a bad station card. The digital ONS card can be purchased quite cheaply on the secondary market,. if it is only one port that is acting up, try to move it to a spare port (very easy in Form 9)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 10:44:40 PM by acejavelin »

Offline wohan02149

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 07:34:18 AM »
Thank you for the advice, I had already checked the first three things you had listed but rechecked them and power cycled the card and it did the trick.  Thank you very much.

Offline BariEsser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 06:08:31 AM »
As per my experience you should break down the line with a test set or jack on a piece of jumper wire with a known good phone connected, check the output of the system with the station cable or jumper removed to verify the system is sending out dial tone.
If this failed in-service, then assuming the environment hasn't changed in some way, the most likely cause is a bad station card.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10