Author Topic: 5320e will not get pass "DHCP Discovery Using Option 128+"  (Read 22977 times)

Offline dshadoan

• View Profile
5320e will not get pass "DHCP Discovery Using Option 128+"
« on: June 05, 2013, 04:30:15 PM »
We have recently purchased a Mitel solution from our local phone provider. The controller (3300 MXE III I believe) and several phones have been installed in a new building and appear to be working fine. However, when we plugged a phone into the network here in our IT building, the phone will not get pass "DHCP Discover Using Option 128+". The only difference between the two is that the IT building is on a different subnet and thus has a different VLAN.

I have the following options configured on our DHCP server:

I plugged a computer into the very same port that the affected phone is plugged into. It pulled an IP address from the DHCP server for the appropriate subnet and I was able to not only PING the controller, but also establish a session with it on more than 50 different ports. So I'm not inclined to think it is a network issue.

Here is the boot process that the phone (5320e) goes through:
  • Waiting for 802.1x authentication
  • Waiting for LLDP
  • Main Ver 05.01.00.09 / Boot Ver 05.01.00.03
  • Waiting for DHCP / Main Ver 05.01.00.09
  • VLan None Pri None / Main Ver 05.01.00.09
  • DHCP: Discovery / Main Ver 05.01.00.09
  • DHCP: Discovery / Using Option 128+
  • DHCP: Releasing / Using Option 128+
  • VLan 201 Pri 6 _ / Using Option 128+
It stays at the last option until it times out and then it recycles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 5320e will not get pass "DHCP Discovery Using Option 128+"
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 04:55:21 PM »
Is vlan 201 trunked between locations?

Offline dshadoan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 05:07:08 PM »
It is a routed interface between the buildings.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 05:11:32 PM »
If everything is setup correctly, it appears that vlan 201 on you local switch isn't receivng the dhcp info from the phone system. Do you have separate DCHP servers in both buildings?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 05:28:49 PM »
    We have recently purchased a Mitel solution from our local phone provider. The controller (3300 MXE III I believe) and several phones have been installed in a new building and appear to be working fine. However, when we plugged a phone into the network here in our IT building, the phone will not get pass "DHCP Discover Using Option 128+". The only difference between the two is that the IT building is on a different subnet and thus has a different VLAN.

I have the following options configured on our DHCP server:

I plugged a computer into the very same port that the affected phone is plugged into. It pulled an IP address from the DHCP server for the appropriate subnet and I was able to not only PING the controller, but also establish a session with it on more than 50 different ports. So I'm not inclined to think it is a network issue.

Here is the boot process that the phone (5320e) goes through:
    • Waiting for 802.1x authentication
    • Waiting for LLDP
    • Main Ver 05.01.00.09 / Boot Ver 05.01.00.03
    • Waiting for DHCP / Main Ver 05.01.00.09
    • VLan None Pri None / Main Ver 05.01.00.09
    • DHCP: Discovery / Main Ver 05.01.00.09
    • DHCP: Releasing / Using Option 128+
    • VLan 201 Pri 6 _ / Using Option 128+
    It stays at the last option until it times out and then it recycles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    The phone is geting DHCP in the default VLAN and then releasing it's lease in that VLAN and requesting a DHCP offer in VLAN 201 and it is not getting an offer (or not getting a valid offer), your list of steps the phone is going through is confirming that. You need to make sure that VLAN 201 exists in the new building, and that you are properly forwarding the DHCP request to the Mitel for it's DHCP offer in VLAN 201. Also remember that the new 5320e phones require that the second (final) DHCP offer does NOT include the VLAN tags (129/130) or it will fail to boot.[/list]
    « Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 05:31:50 PM by acejavelin »

Offline martyn

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 06:31:27 PM »
    All of those DHCP options have been superseded by option 125, so you are better off just using that. Plus as Ace mentioned the new handsets don't like some of the old options.

Also make sure that there is an IP helper on the layer 3 interface of the default gateway for vlan 201, otherwise the phone will just learn the vlan (layer 2) like it is, and not be able to get a DHCP offer back (layer 3).

Offline dshadoan

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 09:52:25 AM »
    Thank you to all for assisting me with this.

@John: The phones in the new building are receiving DHCP from the Mitel Controller. The phone company has not given us access to the system and I doubt that they will, so I'm not certain if a scope for VLAN 201 has been configured. I'm banking on that it hasn't and thus have configured a scope on our local Windows DHCP server with IP Helper configured on the VLANs' gateway pointing to it.

@Ace: VLAN 201 is configured on all switches between source and destination. The scope I created on the DHCP server I mentioned previously has NO Mitel Options configured at this moment and the issue still persists.

@Martyn: I configured Option 125 according to the information given to me by the technician installing the phones. For some reason it didn't work and he advised me to configure the previously mentioned options. All phones that are in the same subnet/VLAN as the controller boot properly with them.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 10:09:16 AM »
    You can certainly do the dhcp locally, depending on the size of the pipe between buildings and amount of phones, you may also want to locally host the tftp info

Offline dshadoan

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 10:26:52 AM »
    Update:
     ;D The phone is now asking for a PIN!!!!! ;D

I placed the phone in Teleworker Mode and it booted without issue. So I thought about what might be going on when the phone is placed in this configuration and it hit me. In response to Ace's post, I removed ALL Mitel options from the scope. When I placed options 128-130 back in the scope and removed the Teleworker configuration, it booted.

So it looks like the issue I was having was what Ace was referring to. Options 132 (VLAN ID) and 133 (Priority) do not need to be in the scope for the VoIP phone.

Thank you SO MUCH for helping me with this issue.
    « Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 10:31:07 AM by dshadoan »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10