Author Topic: Assigning IP sets to a private network subnet scope  (Read 2975 times)

Offline wobbly_head_bob

• View Profile
Assigning IP sets to a private network subnet scope
« on: March 11, 2013, 11:14:41 AM »

I wanted to assign my IP sets to a private network (192.168.1.x), but I continue to receive either an "Add gateway error" as a message on my 5360 IP phone or the thing just sits there and does nothing. 

The deal is that my 3300 (MCD 4) is on a 10.x.x.x numbered address where 10.x.x.1 is the (external) gateway address.  If I program the 3300 for DHCP and set up small scope of available addresses in the 10.x.x.x, default all the settings in the IP Phone, it'll go out and get one of those addresses in scope, no problem.  If I, instead, set up a small scrope of 192.168.x.x adresses, default the phone...it will not connect.

Essentially what I'm attempting to do is have the controller provide the IP addresses to the phones, but not the 10.x.x.x range, as the scope I've been assigned, while it has some spare addresses, will dry up if I continue to add IP phones.  The IP phones in my network have no need to touch anything beyond the controller to which it is assigned...I'm trying to avoid getting the network guys involved as I'm thinking this can surely be done at the 3300 level.

I can provide more information if needed.  Thanks!

Offline wiseguy

• View Profile
Re: Assigning IP sets to a private network subnet scope
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 06:46:28 PM »
This is not straight forward. If you want the phones to have a different subnet then you must setup Vlan's and route between the two Vlan's via a router or a layer 3 switch. You can also have 2 seperate networks that work independent. one for data and one for voice. (stupid but possible)

Offline ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 01:43:21 AM »
once you have setup your switches/router (as per wiseguy's comments) with a helper to your controller your will need to add

• DHCP Subnet
  • DHCP IP Address Range
  • DHCP Options - add an addtion ID 3 - Router to your new scope

Offline wobbly_head_bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 07:35:39 AM »
I realize it's not straight forward, please forgive my lack of networking knowledge.  I thank you guys for your replies!  Here are a few more notes:

- We are running, perhaps stupidly, separate networks...we utilize the data network for IP trunking at our head end.  If you imagine a hub and spoke architecture, with an inner hub as several nodes that branch out then to several more...at the center of that, we have IP trunking, to the edge we're still (for now) using T1 circuits.

- We wanted to put IP phones out at the edge sites...again, separate from the data network.  Just an IP Phone plugged into one drop at the desk and the desktop plugged into another.  Physically separate.  Those drops would end up on a PoE switch in the telco closet that has its trunk port run to the data network (visualize a separate rack altogether) for 10.x.x.x.  The 3300, naturally, would use a non powered port of that PoE switch to obtain its 10.x.x.x address for management purposes.  (if this stops making any sense let me know..maybe I can whip up some diagrams of what we have)

- We have, for example, 20 buildings and in each building we have a "Building Manager".  My initial thought was that each "Building Manager" would have an IP phone with the address (192.168.1.11).

We'll be working to converge the separate networks, but that's a long time out at this point...I realize that none of this on its face is reasonably "standard" or, for that matter, reasonable. 

Thanks again for the help!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:52:39 AM by wobbly_head_bob »

Offline mgodinez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 07:52:59 PM »
hello,

if your pbx sits on a 10.x.x.x/8 (class a private network) - the first thing i would ask myself is:  how can the mitel issue addresses for a class c network (192.168.x.x/16)? 

you need a layer 3 device between the 10.x.x.x/8 and the 192.168.x.x/16 network.  i think this is what your solution is missing...as mentioned previously.

i would put a router in between the networks that you are trying to issue dhcp leases to.  address one interface for the class a network that your pbx is sitting on and address a second interface for the class c network.  setup routing/acls/qos/etc. b/n the two accordingly.

however, i may be misunderstanding the issue.

regards,

mike g.
seattle, wa

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10