Author Topic: delay when switching between 'hold' and 'call 1'  (Read 10366 times)

Offline WallIT

• View Profile
delay when switching between 'hold' and 'call 1'
« on: November 22, 2012, 05:31:24 AM »
Hi,

We have a problem on our Mitel 5000, which affects all handsets. This problem is most noticeable on the reception telephone as they are constantly switching between callers and putting them on/off hold.

The example below is using a Mitel 5320 IP phone.

The problem is this: A call is picked up as normal (and showing on call key 1). If the attendant then puts the call on hold (using the red 'hold' key) then immediately presses the key labelled 'Call Key 1' it can take two or three presses to get the call off hold and speak to the caller. This is because there appears to be a delay. This delay is not consistent. Sometime the delay is short (1-2 seconds), sometimes longer (up to 4-5 seconds).

As mentioned, the Receptionists notice this problem constantly as they are always switching between up to 7 callers and putting them on and off hold before transferring them to users.

Regarding the network, the phones are in a VLAN. QoS is enabled on the switches. I have looked through the programming on the Mitel and can't find anything that might affect this issue.

Does this happen on your 5000 unit? Would replacing the IP phone with a digital handset solve this problem?

Thanks for any tips and advice.
Michael.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: delay when switching between 'hold' and 'call 1'
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 12:22:16 PM »
I haven't had any customers report this issue... What software version are you running? Also, if you look in the MSA&D screen, is the CPU usage very high? Does it do this after a reboot? I find in most 5000's with "odd" issues, setting up a scheduled reboot once a week during the night clears up strange issues.

Offline WallIT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 06:40:44 AM »
Hi acejavelin,

Thanks for your reply. We are currently running 5.0.4.63, although as I'm writing this an engineer is on his way to upgrade to a later version. I'll update this with the software version after the upgrade.

To answer your other question, I have never noticed the CPU to be high. It is currently showing User = 5%, Application = 4% (albeit, it is out of hours right now so no one is using it). I'll check again in office hours and update this thread if is showing higher usage.

The system uptime says 282 days, so maybe a weekly scheduled reboot would be a good idea. I see there is an option called 'Major Reset Scheduling'. Can you advise the most appropriate settings for a weekly reboot? Thanks.

On a related note, the Mitel Attendant Console software (used by the receptionist) was recently update to the (apparently) latest version, which is, 3.202. Next to this version number it says May 12, 2010. Really? No updates or further development in over 2 years? That's poor. Actually, we don't find the Mitel Attendant Console that great. Are there any alternatives for receptionists?

Really appreciate this. Thanks again for your help. I'll keep you posted.

Michael.

Offline WallIT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 09:08:40 AM »
Ok, phone system updated. Now running 5.0.4.80 (also says SP2 PR4). System uptime is 32 minutes (a reboot as a result of the update) and... same problem - the phones still have a delay when switching between the call keys when on hold.

Can this be a CPU issue if the problem happens when no one is using it, like today (Saturday)? CPU usage currently reads

User = 9%
Application = 7%

Another problem (should I start a new thread?)...is that the phones do not show missed calls, despite the flag set to YES on all the phones. We can still view a missed calls by pressing the blue 'menu' button and going into the call history, but it obviously more useful to have a notice saying you have a missed call!

Offline NTEDave

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 06:36:28 AM »
Do you notice any other slowdown in the system, for instance when you press a digit does it take a second or so to register or anything similar?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 01:16:19 PM »
This is likely not a CPU usage issue, I have seen CPU usage well over 50% with no "lag" issues on phones at all.

You are on the highest revision of software within the 5.0 "stream" and it was released August of 2011, although if you have software assurance through Mitel you can get up to 5.1SP2 which is the current release. The console version 3.2 is correct and the most current.

The only alternative to the Receptionist console is the UCA Receptionist, but if you don't like the 5000's native console I highly doubt you would like the UCA console either. 

The only other time I have seen this issue is when you put lots of CO Line keys on phones (ie. lines 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 on buttons across lots of phones) but I haven't seen it using Call Keys.

Are you using analog CO lines or a PRI? Do you have this same issue if you replicate it from internal phones, or only from outside lines?

Offline WallIT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 12:47:52 PM »
Hi,

To answer the last few questions.

No, we don't notice any lag or slowdown when dialing digits or pressing other keys on any phones.
We don't have lots of CO lines on a phone. Most just have one. Only reception has 1-7.

Not sure what you mean regarding "CO lines or PRI?" - all our lines come in over an ISDN30 line - is this PRI?
However, the issue happens regardless of internal or external lines, so I guess it's not related to what type of lines we have.

If there is anything else we should look at please let me know.
Many thanks

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 05:37:06 PM »
Hmmm... very odd. It sounds like you do not have any CO Lines, and an ISDN30 is the European version of a PRI (ISDN Primary Rate Interface), so phones should not have "lines" at all, just Call Keys, and I have never seen this issue with them. Frankly I am kind of puzzled, how large is this system and is there anything unique like 100's of PKM/DSS buttons or lots of secondary appearances throughout the system? Did your local vendor do a system freeze and grab logs to open ticket with Mitel and what was the response?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 02:02:21 PM »
WallIT,

Sorry to hear about the problem you are having. Do you know if your technician has performed a Database Test & Repair on your Database to see if it is corrupted. This does not fix all issues, but it is a good start for issues like this. Also have them download your errorlogs and see if the system is having issues.

The only time I have had issues that did not make any sense at all it has always been the Compact Flash card which needed to be replaced.

There are only 3 main components to the Mitel 5000

1. Cabinet
2. Motherboard
3. Compact Flash

The Cabinet is just a fancy Power Distribution System with an interface for physical cards [which connect to the motherboard] and simple features. This most likely is never the issue when having issues with phones, unless it is a power issue and then nothing works.

The Motherboard is what handles all the physical resources and therefore could cause some issues if there are firmware issues or resources are bad such as DTMF.

The Compact Flash is the Hard Drive that handles all the virtual features of the system such as the OS and Database. I am not sure why this is the one thing that causes the most 'odd' problems, but I do know that there is no way for a technician to fix it on site without replacing it.

So if your system does not show any issues with the Processor being overloaded then most likely I would look at the Compact Flash. Have the technician check your database for corruption and the errorlogs for issues. If there are no issues found then have them put your database on another Compact Flash and see if you still have the problem.

At this point though your technician should be contacting Mitel Tech Support for help and if anything needs to be replaced they will need to get an RMA for that part.

Offline WallIT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 06:06:00 AM »
Thanks both for the update.

The system is not large - approx 50 users. The receptionist has a 5324 IP phone with the extra 48 key module. Not sure what you mean about 'secondary appearances' acejavelin. Can you explain where I should check for these?

I will chase the problem with our engineers (again).

PS: I have a few new, unrelated questions which I will post separately. I really appreciate all the help and advice so will post back with comments and resolution from our engineers.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 11:33:17 AM »
WallIT,

Secondary "appearances" that he is referring to would be called Secondary Extensions within the system. You would find those as key appearances on phones that alert a user when another phone rings. This is mostly used as an Executive Secretary feature that allows them to answer calls for the executive they work for.

You could look in Phone Related Information on each keymap, but most likely they would be programmable keys on an individual phone so you would look at each extension to see if there is a key programmed as Secondary Extension.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »
I think I am getting into splitting hairs where no matter the answer I likely won't have an answer, if there is an issue like this, a qualified technician with certifications current for the product should come onsite, open a ticket with tech support, duplicate the issue and grab a system freeze and attach it to the ticket. That would be the most recommended approach to this issue.

Offline mem5449

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 08:42:35 PM »
Sounds like you have analog trunks and are trying to take calls off hold quickly/shortly after placing them on hold. Check your SYSTEM TIMERS for 'CO Reseize' and set it for 1 (lowest allowed value).

Optionally, you could press the ANSWER key instead of Call Key (IF you are going back to the longest held call) and it will work the same every time.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10